Stop reading the forum and start mixing thread! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    does production count?
    I honestly haven't really focused on making mixes to record and post in a while- while there are a lot of good ones out there I find it's quite a time commitment for people to spend 1-2 hours listening to a mix. It's hard enough getting people to listen to a 7 minute track.
    This sure does X - loving this.
    356 reasons why

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    does production count?

I honestly haven't really focused on making mixes to record and post in a while- while there are a lot of good ones out there I find it's quite a time commitment for people to spend 1-2 hours listening to a mix. It's hard enough getting people to listen to a 7 minute track.
    It definitely does and I completely agree about getting people to commit to a listening to a full mix. I've posted up a few "Mix" threads as I've really never had any of my mixes critiqued by like minded individuals. Was fairly disappointed at the lack of any response to the threads I posted although they had plenty of views.

I'm new to the mixing and production world of music, but not music itself so I've been craving constructive criticism and was hoping to get some feedback from the community. Just means I'll have to start releasing more...

Tech Convert

You're probably gonna hate me, but I think of this forum and Blog as a weekly dose of motivation. I love spending time here, and I spend it a lot reading. And it really helps me a lot. It's not this forum that's my problem, it's the new music.

I literaly spend 3-4 hours a day trying to find some killer tracks for my set. Sometimes I hear a killer track every 10 minutes, and sometimes I don't hear a good track in a few days. Anyway, the tracks I like usually goes to my downloads folder right away, and my problem is that I got too much tracks in there! I sort them out in my collection once in a while, but when I do this, I analize them automaticly in Traktor and have no idea how they sound like! I literaly just listen to them twice: once online and once before moving it to my collection. And a lot of them I never play live. New music is some kind of addiction to me and I can't get rid of it, and I would love to be normal and spend like an hour or two every day actually practicing my performance or working on my EP that I plan to release before summer.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Zone
    I literaly just listen to them twice: once online and once before moving it to my collection.
    That's nowhere near enough. As a DJ, you should know the tracks inside out - how else are you going to know when the next breakdown is? You're also gonna miss out on a LOT of great tracks. Some tracks are just "growers", meaning they grow on you over time. Some awesome tracks aren't instantly recognisable as awesome - you have to listen to them over and over until you understand...

DJ'ing shouldn't be the only time you listen to music. You need to have times where you are listening to music passively - have it on in the background when you are doing other stuff.

When you're DJ'ing you are concentrating on the music - but you don't need to be actively listening to music to learn it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by zimfella View Post
    it's not all about the gear
    BLASPHEMY!

Try doing it without the gear

Looking through my subscribed threads, this thread stood out and deserves a bump
    Last edited by zimfella; 05-13-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Never seen this thread before.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    I use traktor more then 10 years (since Traktor DJ studio 2) and stopped practicing mixing two years ago This days I'm all about new effect mappin' tricks in to arsenal which pushes up my performance.
    Kinda down with this... Spent all night last nite re-mapping my F1 to emulate my Spectra and some DVS functions.

Although, since I'm doing more timecode gigs this summer I have been on the decks a lot more often recently.

S4 is never setup. Just goes to gig, stays in the hall, goes to gig. Prepping for my gigs is my practice, seeing how new music fits in the set.
    I treat it like a job in a way (no that's not boring, it's actually good work practice) I start my prep at a certain time each day and do it till I think I'm done, laptop on lap in the living room. If i get any ideas later it's there to add to. My gigging laptop is the only thing I take out of my bag.

DJTT does take a lot of my time, but because I understand things when I read them, I count the time reading here as practice time, kind of the theory before the practical exam. I keep a folder of bookmarks of useful tricks and tips that I wan to try at one point of do or whatever and when I'm practicing, I pull those out and try to add them to my mixes. It doesn't always work but it's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    We could make love next to your DJM2000, you could caress the EQ knobs as I hit the effects button... It would be so perfect.
    DJM-2000 + X1 + A8 + MBP 13 (early 2013)
    Backup: S4 - S2 - CDJ-400s - T.62s

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234