Switch from cable TV to Apple TV?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Switch from cable TV to Apple TV?

Way off topic, I know. Tired of flipping through 300 channels and paying a shitload for cable TV. Been considering switching to an Apple TV/Roku receiver. Anyone else make this transition? I'm interested to hear thoughts/opinions on these devices.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by bieberatemytaco View Post
    Way off topic, I know. Tired of flipping through 300 channels and paying a shitload for cable TV. Been considering switching to an Apple TV/Roku receiver. Anyone else make this transition? I'm interested to hear thoughts/opinions on these devices.

I doubt very seriously that you will be saving anything with an apple product. I've never in my life heard the word "Savings" associated with any Apple product. Apple products always cost more. This will not be an exception. That’s just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonie G View Post
    I doubt very seriously that you will be saving anything with an apple product. I've never in my life heard the word "Savings" associated with any Apple product. Apple products always cost more. This will not be an exception. That’s just my opinion.
    I don't think you know what I'm talking about. Anyone else?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by bieberatemytaco View Post
    I don't think you know what I'm talking about. Anyone else?
    Apple TV doesn't do anything more than a normal Smart TV does. Except that they charge the $99 for it. If you already have a smart TV then there's no need to get Apple TV unless you want to give Apple $99

I use my Apple TV mostly for programs which i missed on the regular tv.
    This will only work if you take time to "edit" your ATV so it can use f.i. XBMC and Icefilms as a plugin.

Don't have a smart tv. Can get an Apple TV used for $50 on ebay.

Tech Convert

You'll be losing out on HBO, ESPN, SHOTime, TNT, TBS, FX And tons of other channels. Apple TV doesn't carry them.

So would another media device be better, or do they all lack the aforementioned channels? I'd only miss HBO and ESPN, but I use a friend's HBOGO account so that problem is solved.

Tech Convert

No other player would be better. They all lack those channels for they are subscription based. ESPN has plenty of stuff online. But what about local channels... ABC, CBS, NBC? Apple TV doesn't carry those (you can get them with an Off-Air Antenna depending where you live), but if you are too far away from a dedent sized city you'll be missing out on Football Games (if you watch that) and tons of other local programming. I too thought about setting up an internet based TV system, but the amount of content that I wouldn't have access to didn't make it worth it. It isn't ready yet for me.

I'll stick to cable. Thanks, man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast