Hi guys looking to buy my first set up need help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

I would say get the jog wheels since they're so natural for their uses that aren't specifically scratching, but pads work perfect to for those uses (pitch bending, searching, blah blah blah.), but since Ive been playing around with using only pads for those purposes, it actually works really well.
    It depends on whether you like having a modular setup or an all in one (which would be the VCI-400). You cant really go wrong with a VCI-400.
    Basically
    VCI-400 - You get EVERYTHING you need for mixing. Perfect for starting out, and will last you a quite a while, depending on what you want.
    Twitch and F1 - ALL depends on how you use it. Not necessarily a beginners option as you could either have an advanced or a crappy use for it, depending on how you want to mix.
    And if you really want jog wheels if you get the Twitch and F1, you can get the Behringer CMD PL-1s when they come out which are pretty nice. This would make your setup quite messy though (cables, desk space, transportation would be much more obnoxious than with a VCI-400).

As a beginner, Id say get the VCI-400. Its going to do most of the things you'll want it to and itll last you a long time. I see the Twitch and F1 as something you'd get once you become more familiar and, say, want to try new things or do some serious controllerism and remixing.

TLDR Get the VCI-400.

Tech Wizard

I don't agree, I realize that is your two cents but come on. For SOO much more money you get GREAT "tools" but I have read many reviews that it isn't a beginner controller and many that say mapping it is very difficult. But decide yourseld

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hoesterey View Post
    I don't agree, I realize that is your two cents but come on. For SOO much more money you get GREAT "tools" but I have read many reviews that it isn't a beginner controller and many that say mapping it is very difficult. But decide yourseld
    + 1
    Two decks is a good start.

Honestly if I had four when I started i wouldnt know how to use them or use them at all, even now with my 400 i use three decks, which can be obtained through a secondary controller. Id say the s2 is great, and it got me going! Plus, its good that you are looking up reviews as well, I made quite a few purchases that I really wish i didnt! Hope this helps you out, and the s2 was a great place to start for me and has my reccomendation.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hoesterey View Post
    I probably shouldn't say beginner as in just starting/learning, but say that once you DO have everything down and understood, it would be perfect. I mean, learning the technical side of things isnt very difficult, and I don't want to be the guy who says "Get a simple controller so you can learn what your doing" because it's not hard to understand once you get used to it (which doesnt take a long time), and after a short amount of time you might be like "I want to do more than what this gives me." which is between full controller upgrade, or having a modular setup.

I based my two cents off of the decision between the Twitch/F1 and VCI-400.
    But like everyone else, Id go along with S2 if the other options seem to overwhelming. I personally dont like it because I like having more options available to me than what the S2 holds (yes Ive used it, have 2 friends who use it), but who knows, maybe that's ALL you need, and you don't want to go spend a lot of money on something you're not sure about.

Tech Wizard

Yeah it is really how you use the gear to some extent. We both have very understandable points which both are similar. But don't feel limited with the S2....Look at this first

The s4 ones are better lol but you get the idea

If you've never djed before I wouldn't start thinking about F1s or midifighters just yet... start with something simple so you can learn the fundamentals, then upgrade or add on when you actually know what you need suit your style. The S2 is probably an excellent choice.

When I started with digital I had all kinds of ideas about what I thought I wanted in a setup, but once I began to develop my own style my needs were quite different from what I thought I wanted.

...And welcome to the DJTT forums! Some posts might have been a bit negative, but it's only because we see this same question A LOT. Use the forum search function before starting a new thread, and you might find your answers without having to hear all the oldtimers grumbling. Search is your friend, especially for "just starting out" type questions!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12