VCI-400SE to Standard VCI-400 Firmware
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default VCI-400SE to Standard VCI-400 Firmware

I'd like to be able to use the VCI-400SE with Serato DJ but for that would I need the standard MIDI firmware?

Thanks.

* Please note since we optimized the firmware on the controller for Traktor Pro 2, many of the default mappings for other programs won't fully work. This controller is intended to be used with Traktor Pro. If you want to use it with other software you will be required to do some mapping on your own.

This is stated in the store section on the product page
    There is however a able ton mapping in the maps page, so I'd say its possible, but you would have to edit the mapping yourself to make it function correctly.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Tech Convert

Fully aware of that, but with the new v2 midi firmware upgrade I thought that it may be possible to downgrade to the original firmware. Serato DJ is not midi programmable (without using a second controller) so I guess I would have to run it through a midi translator to get the functions required.

Tech Student

Has this been answered? I've been debating purchasing a VCI-400 SE, but I really don't care about all the additional tricknology that comes with it (mostly interested in its looks over the standard edition). Is there any way to restore the firmware to the original factory build and use the standard Vestax Traktor tsi?

Tech Wizard

i would wait untill somebody comes along and clarifies, but im pretty sure it would be a simple cause of using the vestax control panel and updating the firmware to the latest from vestax, as apose to updating the firmware to the djtt firmware. remember to flash twice. hope that makes sense and more importantly is fully correct.

as regards to your reasoning, there seems to be a lot of people asking to do this. why pay the djtt premium and not use the controllers full potential. i have a standard 400, i'd love to get my hands on the DJTT firmware

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    as regards to your reasoning, there seems to be a lot of people asking to do this. why pay the djtt premium and not use the controllers full potential. i have a standard 400, i'd love to get my hands on the DJTT firmware
    Mostly for the appearance but.... I purchased a VCI-100 SE a few years ago and while it was a decent product, I didn't enjoy all the combinations of key presses necessary to get through all the custom features (crabbing everything). It just didn't feel like the interface was built to support all the features the SE had. I also felt like it might be too easy to execute FX combos and bad habit forming.... call me a traditionalist I guess.

Other reasons for wanting the 400
    Build quality - my S4 is starting to have internal problems I can't service =(
    8 hot cue pads, modes, adjustable jogs, nice transform section

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zindel View Post
    Mostly for the appearance but.... I purchased a VCI-100 SE a few years ago and while it was a decent product, I didn't enjoy all the combinations of key presses necessary to get through all the custom features (crabbing everything). It just didn't feel like the interface was built to support all the features the SE had. I also felt like it might be too easy to execute FX combos and bad habit forming.... call me a traditionalist I guess.

Other reasons for wanting the 400
    Build quality - my S4 is starting to have internal problems I can't service =(
    8 hot cue pads, modes, adjustable jogs, nice transform section

Fair enough. I previously owned a mixtrack pro, and i found immediately i was using so many more FX, definitely too many.
    I don't know if the cost factors in for you, but i picked up my 400 for $650 aud delivered, and then an f1 for a further $220 aud, which still worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than the s4 or 400se.
    Only thing i'm missing is a knob pack, I'm not sure on the feel of the chroma caps, but the standard 400 ones are hard and cheap. Apologies to OP for going way off topic

Tech Convert

I bought the controller originally to use with Traktor as it was the best option at the time, and I can't help but appreciate how good the SE is compared to the original. Now Serato have released Serato DJ I'd like to move over for various reasons.

There must be a way to downgrade the firmware, as this is the only thing that is different other than appearance. I've been in contact with Vestax about swapping firmware but they have only replied that they don't know exactly what DJTT have changed so cannot help out.

Any staff here able to help out?

Tech Convert

More information from Vestax:

I think this pretty much shows how difficult it would be.

HI David,

So according to our firmware engineer:

Possible, but you would need the H8 ROM WRITER JiG (for VCI100, VCI300,etc)
    Because Ean's version program area of the H8 CPU (MIDI program IC) is different from Vestax version, so we cannot use the USB update solution.

So unfortunately it is not possible via the usual USB firmware update method, because the EGE actually changes the way the VCI talks to the firmware-updating-software on your computer.

Regards,
    As far as I understand our engineer, no, because when they initially flash the firmware of the EGE, they change the core part of the memory which handles updates. For example, imagine the firmware is split into two parts: A & B.

Imagine part A is the lowest level code that deals with booting up, USB interfacing etc as well as loading in the firmware in part B. (Part B would deal with higher level code such as MIDI mapping, LED statuses, audio routing etc)
    Now, you could change the firmware that loads into part B via USB because the code held in part A would deal with loading and writing that in, grabbing the code over the USB etc.

You can't change the firmware held in part A, because there would then be no code to deal with the update itself. The only way to change the code in part A is physically flashing the chip (this is what you need the ROM Writer for)

The problem you have is that the EGE has BOTH A & B firmware different to the standard version, so whilst both versions can update their own 'B' firmware, they are not cross-compatible because they have different "A" code.

This is obviously a simplified explanation (that I just made up) but hopefully clears it up the concept a little bit.

Regards,
    Unfortunate!

Tech Wizard

Would be interested to learn why the VCI-400 firmware was actually designed that way in the first place ?
    Is there actually any functionality embedded into the above described "lower level portion A" of the firmware that would justify a design that makes it impossible to later on switch the implementations about "layer B"

It says:
    "...Part B would deal with higher level code such as MIDI mapping, LED statuses, audio routing etc"
    -> I thought all the (internal) differences between EGE and Standard VCI-400 are just on this level - or do i miss something?....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast