Feedback on ~10 min mix

Default Feedback on ~10 min mix

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for constructive feedback on a short 10 minute dubstep mix.

I have only been practicing for about a week on my Traktor Kontrol S2 and I always record my mix sessions to figure out what area's I can focus my practice on.

I'm new to the forums and the site, but I read so many helpful articles on this website and the community appears to be tight nit so as a beginner DJ I hope I can get some good help and tips from the community.

Grats on S2, amazing hardware. It's awesome that you quality control your mixes, I find you find a lot of slips/mistakes when you re-listen afterwards.

Dubstep is my sore spot, so I can't comment on the tune selection, this kind of stuff is not my cup of tea. I am one of those "dubstep back in my day" guys heh. It was melodic, not too bro-stepy so that's a plus, but it is very hard for me to take this stuff seriously.

Mixing was clean but very simplistic, too quick, maybe try and find good tunes to wave ride with (around 8min mark you got something going on of sort but the switch up to lower volume killed the vibe), better build-ups/drops and of course the best advice would be to listen to other dubstep mixes and see how your kind of stuff is mixed.

Keep practicing, man. All the best to you!

Thanks for the advice!

I will admit the vibe kill at 8 minute's was my fault, I was not paying attention to the level sliders and when I switched the slider was half way down so next mix I will make sure that if I bring the levelers down I make sure I fade in and bring them up during a switch and pay more attention the controller.

Listening to other peoples mixes was the thing that garnered my attention to mixing music and more specifically the music genre.

Next time I listen to a mix I'll make sure to pick up the techniques they use to mix their music.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate you're insight!

No worries, mate, we all make mistakes, I've got way too much to learn still, that's part of the fun.

Yea, same here, GetDarker and specifically Darkside's sets is what got me back into mixing, I was just dreaming in deep dubstep heh. You got the right attitude, man and you take criticism productively and chill, that's admirable.

Keep at it, mate!