DJ Backpack Recommendations
    Tech Convert

Default DJ Backpack Recommendations

I'm looking for a new backpack to carry all my equipment in. I've spent several hours doing research on backpacks trying to find the right one. I've been looking at the UDG Creator Laptop Backpack, the EFX 365, and the DJTT Controllerist. What are your experiences with these bags?

Here are the features I'm looking for:
    backpack
    airplane carry on size
    spaces for a 17" MBP, audio interface (profire 610), controller (largest I'd ever take is a MPD 32--usually smaller ones), and extra space for smaller items like externals, cables, a change or two of clothes, and of course headphones.
    If at all possible I'd also like a section with a divider so I can have magazines and papers stored separately from clothes/controllers/etc, this isn't a necessity though because I know not many packs have those.

I know that's asking for a lot of organization from one backpack so if I have to I can put some of the things I'm carrying into their own protective cases and put them in the main pocket like Ean does (e.g. external HDs in cases, cables in a X1 case, etc).

What bags would you recommend for my purposes?

Thanks for the advice!

Tech Mentor

I would like to know what people carry their gear in and recommend as well!
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Tech Mentor

I have a UDG Creator Laptop Backpack. Wasn't cheap by any means but did everything I was looking for. Works as a backpack and has wheels for rolling along. It is BIG and well built too. I didn't buy it for shifting kit about though. I bought it for my carry on bag as I travel a lot with work, and wanted to maximise available space and ease of transport.

Personally I love it. Although on some of the smallest planes you might want to get onboard near the start of boarding to ensure you have room for getting it in overhead. On the bigger planes, with bigger overhead cabin space, the wheels make it really easy to slip in and out.

It has LOADS of wee nooks and cranies (perfect for hiding HDD's, magazines etc), and comes with a protector for a 10" mixer for the main pocket, a seperate laptop area, as well as a little bag I use for portable speakers, ipods, usb leads etc...

It does what I bought it for, but it is a little big to double as a day pack once you are where you are going. I work offshore, so I pack a normal laptop bag in my main bag too, so when I arrive at my destination, I have a smaller bag for the daily duties.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Convert

Thanks! Real insightful comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    I have a UDG Creator Laptop Backpack. Wasn't cheap by any means but did everything I was looking for. Works as a backpack and has wheels for rolling along.
    There is a wheeled and non-wheeled version of the Creator Backpack. Just want to make sure anyone else reading this doesn't order the non-wheeled version and go "where are the wheels?"

Tech Mentor

Yes. Good point. So there is no confusion, this is the one I got:

http://www.udggear.com/shop/product....B5248&pid=1429
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Tech Convert

Yes. Good point. So there is no confusion, this is the one I got:

http://www.udggear.com/shop/product....B5248&pid=1429
    Do you have any idea of the practical size difference between yours and the non-rolling one in terms of storage space?
    Also, does anyone know: can the controllerist bag be used as a carry on and can it hold a 17" MacBook Pro? (I can't find the dimensions anywhere online.)

Tech Mentor

I couldn't I'm afraid. I ordered online after DJ Tutor reviewed it. Saw his review, decided it was the best one for me, and found the best online price for it, then bought it. Didn't even look at any other bags in the range. Mostly because at the time I was looking for a backpack with wheels anyway.

To be honest though, I hadn't even considered looking at DJ friendly bags at the time, I was looking at Samsonite and other proper travel bags when I came across the youtube review. Similar bags in them circles were similarly priced anyway.

Tech Convert

I couldn't I'm afraid. I ordered online after DJ Tutor reviewed it. Saw his review, decided it was the best one for me, and found the best online price for it, then bought it. Didn't even look at any other bags in the range. Mostly because at the time I was looking for a backpack with wheels anyway.

To be honest though, I hadn't even considered looking at DJ friendly bags at the time, I was looking at Samsonite and other proper travel bags when I came across the youtube review. Similar bags in them circles were similarly priced anyway.
    So you have the 21" version? I just saw they make a 17" version too...a little smaller so that might solve the drawback of it being too bulky. I'm looking at the UDG Backpack as well. Thanks for your advice xs2man! Hopefully some other people will chime in with their advice too.

Quote Originally Posted by lexor View Post
    I'm looking for a new backpack to carry all my equipment in. I've spent several hours doing research on backpacks trying to find the right one. I've been looking at the charging backpack gear DJ, the EFX 365, and the DJTT Controllerist. What are your experiences with these bags?

Here are the features I'm looking for:
    backpack
    airplane carry on size
    spaces for a 17" MBP, audio interface (profire 610), controller (largest I'd ever take is a MPD 32--usually smaller ones), and extra space for smaller items like externals, cables, a change or two of clothes, and of course headphones.
    If at all possible I'd also like a section with a divider so I can have magazines and papers stored separately from clothes/controllers/etc, this isn't a necessity though because I know not many packs have those.

I know that's asking for a lot of organization from one backpack so if I have to I can put some of the things I'm carrying into their own protective cases and put them in the main pocket like Ean does (e.g. external HDs in cases, cables in a X1 case, etc).

What bags would you recommend for my purposes?

Thanks for the advice!
    Odyssey BRLBACKTRAK, which has several padded pockets for easy storage of laptops, controllers, headphones, hard drives, and basically any basic digital DJ equipment. It's important to note that it's more affordable than most options, and you can take this bag with you on any aircraft.