MacBook Pro: Black Screen of Death
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default MacBook Pro: Black Screen of Death

    Hey all,

    I have a MacBook Pro (Version 10.6.8) and sometimes the screen goes black. When this happens, I'm forced to restart my computer. On one occasion, some months ago, just before a gig, I had to restart my computer about five times before I could access the home screen, dock, etc. As far as I can tell, it happens when I'm running or about to run a program/application. Why does this happen and how can I fix it? Should I be looking for a new computer?

    Thanks in advance for any information you can provide regarding this issue.

  2. #2
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    P.E.I Canada
    Posts
    80

    Default

    I am really no expert on computers but i can tell you that i have a Macbook pro and as far as using Traktor and controlers hooked up to it goes its only crashed once in 3 years. When it did im pretty sure it was a power spike that caused it. Try a really good surge protector. You must be a nervous wreck if it crashes that often Im sure somebody can help more but its not normal to crash that often.
    2x Denon Dns 3700s, Korg Zero 4, NI x1, Macbookpro, KRK rocket 8s, KRK sub.

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor hola amigos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Go pay and have someone look at it.

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    Go pay and have someone look at it.
    This. Or maybe try a Mac related forum for some additional info before you decide to take it somewhere?

  5. #5
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    75

    Default

    i had the same problem with my old macbook pro...the graphics card had to be changed by apple service because there was some defective contacts

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beatkind View Post
    i had the same problem with my old macbook pro...the graphics card had to be changed by apple service because there was some defective contacts
    How much was it to change the graphics card? I read on a forum that the GPU (I don't know if this is the same thing as a graphics card?) cannot be changed: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0. Is this true? If so, it seems I'm in trouble.

    Thanks for your input, everyone.

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor M.Beijer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    stockholm
    Posts
    383

    Default

    My macbook which im writing on now, almost 2 years old.

    (bought it around the same time as i bought kontrol s4 to have a tight, strong setup. However my macbook crashed alot, especially when using traktor or multitasking. It went so far that i sold my S4 and picked up cdjs instead.
    After that i returned it for service and they changed the "logic board" which i think is like the mother board on a pc.
    Since then it has been the workhorse i expected it to be, real stable, perhaps 1-2 crashes in last 1,5 years.
    Used it with kontrol s2 + traktor for a while without hassle however atm i dont use it for djing.

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor The Mighty FV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redcloak View Post
    Hey all,

    I have a MacBook Pro (Version 10.6.8) and sometimes the screen goes black. When this happens, I'm forced to restart my computer. On one occasion, some months ago, just before a gig, I had to restart my computer about five times before I could access the home screen, dock, etc. As far as I can tell, it happens when I'm running or about to run a program/application. Why does this happen and how can I fix it? Should I be looking for a new computer?

    Thanks in advance for any information you can provide regarding this issue.
    Some months ago? And you haven't thought to take it to a professional and get it fixed? Don't be an idiot...it's worth the cash to get your set-up running smooth man.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redcloak View Post
    How much was it to change the graphics card? I read on a forum that the GPU (I don't know if this is the same thing as a graphics card?) cannot be changed: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0. Is this true? If so, it seems I'm in trouble.

    Thanks for your input, everyone.
    This sounds like a graphics (GPU) issue as someone mentioned above. Whether it is possible to change out or not ultimately depends on multiple factors, namely what year/model the MBP and whether you have a dedicated graphics unit, or whether it is running off the processor. If you go under your computer specs and you see something along the lines of "NVIDIA GT-number-number-something," it means it has dedicated graphics, and there's a chance it can be replaced, albeit incredibly small (I doubt that Apple will look at it if it's not under AppleCare). If you don't see anything like that, you're probably running graphics off the processor, and this means you more than likely have bigger problems.

    Either way, get it looked at, as it is likely to only get worse.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

    www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor hola amigos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    Some months ago? And you haven't thought to take it to a professional and get it fixed? Don't be an idiot...it's worth the cash to get your set-up running smooth man.
    Exactly. The odds of you being able to repair your own computer is slim to zero.
    Just make a few phone calls. Try the nearest apple store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •