"I started DJing for myself, not to be cool"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "I started DJing for myself, not to be cool"

So I'm a completely fresh bedroom DJ still working out my own kinks and slowly putting together my own, first DJ set - producing my own tracks and remixes along the way and learning a LOT as I go.

Now I regularly read on forums and hear from DJs (same applies to all business of course) that they started out because of their love of music - they made their own mixes in secrecy and not to cater to some crowd or to become the local cool guy.

Some say they didn't, and still don't, care (or at least it's not a big deal), about becoming a big name, getting high profile gigs, being able to tell people they're a DJ, getting laid, getting in to clubs etc. but that it's all about the music.

Here's the thing; I've always loved music, I still consider music the big love of my life and I can lie sleepless for hours just thinking about tomorrow when I get to listen to that fantastic track again. It took me many years to start producing my own music (made my first track when I was 20) and now that I'm 21 I'm just starting to get into DJing.

But I have to be honest, I am TERRIBLY excited about, in the future, playing big venues, telling people how I can pump up a crowd, having contacts in the club world, inviting new friends to my gigs, having people screaming for more - and I don't think I could get there fast enough! I'm not stressed about getting there, but if I could have my dreams fulfilled in a month, I think I'd go for it.

Now don't get me wrong - I fantasize just as much about that epic blend between to ginormous tracks, dropping the bomb so hard even the bouncers start dancing, reviving a track people had forgotten and opening people's eyes for new music.

But I feel that some things that surround DJing - promotion, stage shows, social networking, travel, freedom, fame and status - also excite me and pull me into this world. I can't wait to have my name at the top of a flyer for the most respected club in Stockholm. I sometimes have a hard time sleeping because I'm so excited about my future.

What I'm thinking about are all these people saying they do this for themselves - and only for themselves and their love for music. Now I would go out on a limb and say that I can make it - I don't think that I will fail in becoming a respected DJ, but what do you think about my attitude?

Do I fall into the iPod DJ category, am I that exact newcomer I hear people bashing everywhere, the microwave DJ who is hypnotized by the sparkly colors and not the inner love for music? Do I cater to the mainstream? Is that a bad thin? Do I lose credibility in your eyes because I also feel excitement over these things?

Well spoken mate, and welcome I don't think there is anybody on this forum that does DJing because its "cool" or to "get laid". We are in it for the music and to make people happy. My crew has done a few big gigs, and to be honest, even though its a buzz controlling a crowd with your mixing finger, we enjoy doing house parties with a dozen friends who love the music and appreciate our "skills".
    You have the right attitude, of course you will get better but the best way to do that is to get some constructive criticisms from friends etc. Once you get confident enough, then you can put a few mixes out there and get some gigs.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Bottom line, I love the music and that's why I'll sit in Traktor for hours, alone at home with my headphones trying new things and wondering how to perfect blends etc.

But I love love love the music industry and promotions so far. It's AWESOME!

EDIT: There's nothing wrong about any of that, just don't get ahead of yourself, ever. Be humble, always.

You're in the right place dude.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Great nice to hear that I don't lose credibility as a music fanatic just because I'm attracted to other aspects of the industry as well!

A DJ's gotta eat haha

I love music, I love continuous music. I love DJing cause its the music I like, non-stop. it doesn't get any better, unless there's people dancing in front of you while you do it... and then if they really like what you're doing to them with the music, they will deem you as cool. If there is a hot chick on hand that wants to get with you because of that new found coolness of yours then that's a bonus, but honestly I've gotten more chicks when I go to parties as a spectator than a DJ. Anywho, welcome... it's going to be a hell of a ride as you'll soon find out.
    Technics1200-M5G/DDJ-SZ
    WWW.ARTHURNAVA.COM

I'm a musician by trade, I sing, play trombone, and dabble on piano guitar etc. All of that side of music is good, but doesn't make my mates really happy (unless they're in my brass band - weirdos..)

However.. When I started a band with a few mates a couple of years ago, not only did I bum off playing in front of other friends, and then people I didn't know - I realised that everyone thinks we're cool - they don't know we're really complete music geeks who sit down together and cream over youtube videos of Joey Jordison playing double stroke rolls with his feet. Then comes the amazing feeling of people who you've never met before singing along to your songs at gigs - that remains one of the best ever feelings for me in the world. Unfortunately, we all went our separate ways a couple of years ago, and the band fizzled out. Then I dusted off my decks...

I think the fact that if you are a good DJ who interacts well with the audience, takes pride in his craft, and doesn't just hang around with his entourage and play top 40 RnB songs back to back through CDJ1000s (like so many do...) then, the reward for your love of music, and making all those people happy, manufacturing their night out - is the hit chicks who give you their number, the 10 people coming up to you and asking for your myspace, even the one young guy who really wants to be a DJ, who you've inspired to get his first lot of gear. It all comes part and parcel with the DJ thing

I mean come on.. Are any of the big name DJs not just cool geeks? deadmau5 clearly got bullied at school.. but he's adored by all the cool guys who watch him play! (not to mention the hot girls) I think to be talented at this game you have to be two things - dedicated to the craft (ie. a geek at heart) and personable & charismatic. People who only have the first, end up as producers and bedroom DJs who don't like to be seen in daylight, and those with only the second, end up at most as a resident, but can't quite cut it as a headliner.

To be good - bundle that all together, and you've got a DJ. I've been doing local radio chat/request/music shows for a bit now, and I've realised - that's what I wanna do, and combine that with club work in the evenings. It's gna be a hard struggle to make it - but I'm uber determined

Anyway - that's the Belch Philosophy (if anyone bothered to read that... haha)

Welcome I'll let you know when I'm in stockholm...

Tech Guru

i think it's safe to say all of us like to indulge in the rockstar fantasy thing from time to time. There's nothing wrong in that, just as long as you keep things in perspective- like you said, it's all about the music.

I notice when I watch interview with my favourite artists, more often then not they say the same thing " I never even planned on doing this professionally, it was just something we did for fun and here I am".

Focus on the music and work hard and if you keep at it I'm sure you will see some of your fantasies become realities

Tech Wizard

Good, post and I don't think there's anything wrong with your attitude. I'm still a relative n00b to this but have played out 3 times - one wedding, 2 parties in bars - for free, for the experience. And you know what, I LOVED it. Girls dig you, boys respect you. But what started us all off down this road, and will keep people going through bad mixes and unpleasant will always be the MUSIC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast