Missing or corrupt file, unsupported format or DRM protection
    Tech Convert

Default Missing or corrupt file, unsupported format or DRM protection

Hello,

Already posted this on Native Instruments forum, but with no luck. Searched the forums here if there was a similiar thread like this, couldn't find one. I might as well contact Native Instruments personally

So I've always had this irritating issue with the Traktor software. It happens randomly, with any track and cannot be solved.

So now and then, when playing some tracks using Traktor, I all of a sudden cannot load a track anymore. Usually I had tons of tracks more beforehand but then out of the blue when loading a certain one: "Warning, the track bla bla could NOT be played due to a missing of corrupt file, unsupported format or DRM protection". After that I cannot play load those tracks ever again, re-ripping. redownloading or re-installing the software does NOT work. And I'm kinda getting sick of this issue right now, almost every session, more and more track fail to be played in Traktor and now I know that at the moment there is nothing I can do to fix that.

Now I was wandering if there are any other users experiencing the same prob or that there already is a fix for that I haven't noticed yet.

And uhm, thanks in advance!

Cheers

Tech Guru

Have you tried relocate and pointing to the folder your music is stored in? Have you checked that your hard drive is ok? It may be failing and you're ending up with more and more corrupt files.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Convert

Thanks for your reply D-Kem. What you mentioned is something I haven't tried yet, so that's exactly what I'm gonna do now!
    My hard drive has been okay since I ever have it, what would you suggest to check for faults?

I'm now gonna boot up Traktor again and see if I can reset the directory somehow, I'll be back to report

Tech Convert

I seem to keep having this issue as well, at random, with what seems on different music files. Files that I know I've purchased, FYI. It happens so much to the point where I run Consistency Checks and Relocation checks every few weeks. And the error message we're all to familiar with lists a variety of reasons. I receive this message when my music is stored on my local computer, as well as when using my (New) external SSD drive, on Mac & PC.

D-Jem, Matejosa, All: If either of you or anyone else has discovered a potential reason or fix to this issue, please reply to the thread and let us know.

I truly can't understand why it happens, especially when I've re-ripped the songs, re-imported them, re-analyzed, clicked and dragged them from the folder directly on my computer (which sometimes works BTW), ran consistency/relation checks over and over.

Also, is any one of the list of reasons in this error code the more common reason?
    Last edited by quickswitch; 01-21-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added Mac & PC

Tech Convert

I found some (sort of) helpful threads on the Native Instruments forum also. http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=135993

Note: These issues all relate to ITUNES playlists
    1. there are some playlists in which all songs work 100%
    2. other playlists all give the same 'missing / corrupt' error for every track in that playlist
    3. if you take a track in an iTunes playlist which Traktor thinks is missing, and put that track into another playlist which works in Traktor, then sometimes all of a sudden Traktor can load it.
    4. ANY new playlists or tracks added directly to the music library in iTunes give the error in Traktor
    5. if a broken playlist is imported to Traktor's playlist collection, it is also broken there. HOWEVER, locating the 'missing' tracks using the relocate function will fix this.
    6. ANY track in a broken playlist is also broken if searching for it directly in the entire iTunes library using Traktor.
    7. Traktor does not offer the 'relocate' function on iTunes playlists and tracks.
    8. I have not moved any tracks on my HDD. They are all in the same top directly on my local drive. Even recreating the playlists from scratch still gives the error
    9. even if I don't use ANY playlists at all, any new track added to the library gives the error...

I'll keep testing.

Default could not be played due to a missing or corrupt file / Native instruments help

Hi All,

I had a similar issue where valid tracks I had (ie, Traktor gave the error message we are speaking of BUT Windows Media Player & other players can play the file without issue).

I saw this thread & I also did some outside research. In my Net Travels I found this from Native instruments.:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/e...t-audio-files/

The link goes on to explain about a possible condition here is part of the info: "If you experience a sudden crash when loading a track onto a Deck, there is a high chance that the track might be corrupt. A corrupt audio file is a file that has a certain type of missing or malformed information either in its metadata (ID3-tags) or in the actual music data. Corrupt files may have various consequences on the stability of TRAKTOR. These can be as harmless as displaying a tag with an odd character or as harmful as causing the whole application to crash."

They then go into Windows & Mac 3rd party utilities that may be able to "Repair" the files & thus make the track valid for Traktor to load up.

I was able to test on 3 sets of files with good results. Also on the side I have a travel USB drive I use between my cars & Xbox etc. There were several files there that were having issues. Sure enough the Windows Utility was able to iD & repair the offending files.

Don't know if this will correct every file but it has allowed me to get most of my collection back into my Traktor.

Hope this helps everyone.

I think there is an issue with Traktor itself.
    When it analyses tracks it then edits the tags - when it does so, occasionally it corrupts the file. I estimate it occurs about 1 in every 200-300 tracks analysed but it appears to be track dependent. I have two audio files that play perfectly well and analyse ok in AudioTester, but feed them into Traktor and it kills them.

The sequence is I import the tracks into Traktor - and add them to the decks. They analyse and play fine. As soon as I unload the decks they become corrupted - I believe it is at this point that Traktor updates the audio file.

The best recourse is to analyse all the tracks in Traktor - add the analysed column and sort the full collection by it to identify tracks not fully analysed. Once analysis is complete, run the entire library through AudioTester to identify any faulty tracks - Traktor's consistency check is not sufficient. I believe, though this is yet to be confirmed, that once Traktor has analysed a track successfully and updated the file, that the file is then not in danger of becoming corrupted, but I may be wrong here.

I've encountered this issue as well, but my "solution" was to make either a copy of the track or convert to a different file format and then import into Traktor. I've also tried using MP3tag with mixed results; sometimes the file would be read in Traktor, but most times it would still produce the error.
    A.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 Technics SL1200, 1 Technics SL1210, Denon DN-X1700, Traktor Kontrol X1, TSP 2.11.2
    Soundcloud Mixcloud

Default Image appears to be a problem

I've found two tracks that repeatedly gave the same problem on analysis in Traktor - audiotester gave them a clean bill of health prior to import, but post-analysis, NOTHING could read them anymore.

Turned out, at least for these two tracks to be the cover image and these weren't large - very much median size for my collection. Removing the covers, importing into Traktor, then reapplying the covers using mp3tag resulted in good files. Subsequent re-analysis in Traktor did not corrupt.

It must be something to do with how Traktor writes/updates tag information - on another file that HAD been successfully analysed in Traktor, tested ok, and then SUBSEQUENTLY got corrupted, mp3val reported garbage at the END of the file!

I'm going to start making all my audio tracks read-only after they've been analysed so that Traktor can't work any more mischief! Weird that this bug has been around so long (I first noticed it 2 years back), and it's not really well known yet.