where is the build up of a song? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gallorance View Post
    This guy is joking right?

How does anyone in this forum not know what a build up is?

How about a drop? A breakdown? If you know what these things are then why don't you know what a build up is!?
    Whats a drop?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Wow, how do you say that and at the beginning of the thread literally ask what a build up is? And an S2 is a PERFECT place to start at such a low price point. Anyway i'm glad that a few people replied to your original post and tried to help.

I couldn't believe the post :|.
    I want to know the number. The intro is the beginning of the song sometimes with vocals.
    Starts out flat waveform ------ then the buildup starts changing in the waveform ((((((( then the breakdown is where all the people start flailing arms. But at which point of the buildup do I mix into another breakdown? But i'll just watch youtube videos. Better place for hands on learning.

...so it blends smoothly into a nice solid mix. I don't need to be a top international dj like skrillex.
    Hahaha, even your role model selection is off! Krillex never mixed a track in his life!
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    I want to know the number. The intro is the beginning of the song sometimes with vocals.
    Starts out flat waveform ------ then the buildup starts changing in the waveform ((((((( then the breakdown is where all the people start flailing arms. But at which point of the buildup do I mix into another breakdown? But i'll just watch youtube videos. Better place for hands on learning.
    It's all by sound man, the sound of the track - that's how you know. But even if you look at the waveforms I mean I have to use the word build up to show you that it's the build up because that's the only way you can tell. You can literally see it building up from a smaller wave form.

Every track is different bro. Some have 16 bar intros, some have 32, some have 64. The same goes for buildups, breakdowns, outros etc. The only way you are going to know when to drop in the next track is by knowing your tracks inside and out, and practicing. Over and over and over
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

As a producer I'm no fan of all these breakdowns, intro/outros et rest. By know I would think any DJ with any kinds of skills could build a mix from any track with any means possible using all the cool tools available, filters, loops et rest.

Anyway, as a boring standard practice I do a 16 bar intro, 8 or 16 bars of less dynamics (usually less or no drums), then a longer section with the interesting part and around 4+ minutes or so a breakdown for any DJs to mix out and then have more stuff at the end for those who want a drum-centric mix-over. I suspect many do the same kind of pattern, you could easily learn those from just looking at various dance tracks in a DAW or somewhere where you could see the bars after adjusting the BPM for the track.

I still don't get it why some new EDM tracks have breakdowns/buildups every minute or so. Kind of like stop-and-go in traffic and there's less musical material on the track and more effects. But hey it's like sugar, put it everywhere so it sounds sweet.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    I still don't get it why some new EDM tracks have breakdowns/buildups every minute or so. Kind of like stop-and-go in traffic and there's less musical material on the track and more effects.
    Totally agree. Some of the shit out now there's nothing but build-ups & "drops". No time to actually settle into the groove of the tune. I'm all about old school 12 minute techno/house tracks with no real breakdowns or drops, just constant good music.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    I still don't get it why some new EDM tracks have breakdowns/buildups every minute or so. Kind of like stop-and-go in traffic and there's less musical material on the track and more effects. But hey it's like sugar, put it everywhere so it sounds sweet.
    Because most of the time, phrases longer than a minute are extremely boring. People want to dance, not stand there in awe of your 12 minute soundscape.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    you got it kinda backwards i think. usually easiest to mix in new tracks intro/build on the playing tracks breakdown.

something as simple as setting the loop size to 32 and scrolling through the track, you can tell where changes come in and if its a song made structurally, with a certian amount of bars for each part. then you can use that to help mix in another song. say even set a cue point where there is going to be a 32 bar stretch of a breakdown, or nonheavy bass section and you can then start the intro/build of you new track that has a 32bar intro, when you reach your cue and knowing that when your 32bars on track A finishes you be hitting the drop section of your new track.( where youll most likely mixout track out when hitting the drop of your new one)

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Because most of the time, phrases longer than a minute are extremely boring. People want to dance, not stand there in awe of your 12 minute soundscape.
    Listen to some techno or if you want something more mainstream, deep house and stuff. We aren't talking a 12 minute atmos only section, but just a few minutes of nice constant groove, some variation within it, but nothing that is so incredibly stop and go.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast