where is the build up of a song? - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Yeah but you're learning and most stuff isn't gonna handle being dropped well..

CDJ2000s are pretty much a plastic box, so are a lot of mixers.... I wouldn't worry too much about what it's made of yet.
    True. But i've seen 2 channel mixers that look like they are metal. Like you could probably throw them at the wall and then keep playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by protocollie View Post
    i feel like you make a lot of decisions based on half understandings, etc.

dubfire and a few other DJs played on the S4 regularly for a while (at least while they were testing it) and it's more than solid enough for most DJs. if it can survive touring with them...

like was said above, CDJ2000s are pretty hollow feeling plastic boxes - you're not supposed to drop DJ kit, it's not really built to survive that. if you're carrying it around a lot you put it in a flight case.
    Yeah I do half ass everything I do. I know this and it pisses me off lol.
    I buy the equipment play around with it. Don't understand as fast as I want then I put down for awhile. In this case got pissed returned my s2 and headphones then just tried to mix without a mixer and heaphones.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Dropped a CDJ2000 on the ground from 6' up just the other night......still works no prob....in case anyone cares
    Good information. I've played around with cdj2000's at guitar center. They were broken. And way over priced imo!
    Not sure why everyone thinks cdj's are amazing. We should have more Vinyl Dj's. People who rock technics. But then again what do I know. I can't even learn the basics on a digital with the waveform showing and metronome enabled. blahhh.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I wonder how much a train ticket to SLC is?...I should have PJJ pick me up on his new rocket ship..eeeeeeerrrrrr...motorcycle...
    Well for a rich Californian like yourself. ( i'm assuming you're pretty wealthy, either you're rich or poor. ) Very affordable. You can fly into the SLC international airport for 200.00 bucks.

Tech Student

For me, I didn't even consider getting better quality gear than my $100 numark mixtrack and the $20 numark headphones till I felt I was limited by it. It's like giving some 15 year old a ferrari as their first car, overkill and probably not deserving of it. Take your time to master the basics like everyone else has said and become super comfortable with simple gear. Once you start feeling limited then grow into better gear. If you own a mixer costing a few thousand dollars it doesn't mean you know how to use it, despite its ability to go through a few tours of war unscathed.

Take your time, enjoy your music, and mix without using numbers completely, just listen to the sound.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    True. But i've seen 2 channel mixers that look like they are metal. Like you could probably throw them at the wall and then keep playing.
    Also when has anyone ever had a mixer thrown at a wall and kept playing *cue youtube video where this actually happens*. An S2 or even a mixtrack, despite it lacking jogwheels made of carbon fiber would be a great place to start.
    Last edited by ktrak; 12-05-2012 at 12:13 AM.

I go thru music buying spurts... that doesn't mean I'm not constantly digging and getting tracks, but every couple of months my collection will expand a bunch with stuff I missed or put off buying, or there is just a ton more of what I'm enjoying available. In the mean time it means I'm playing the songs I have more and understanding them better, finding new ways to incorporate tunes I love and have the structure, especially when weird, understood. Too many tracks too fast with out taking the time to absorb them, I think hurts my ability to dj.

Right now it is all about liquid dnb with a big band swing jazz feel, and nuerofunk tracks that sound like a cosmic funk band playing from a space station that has my attention. If tomorrow I find 20 songs that fit this, i'm getting them and sorting it out proper and go back into education mode and learn the songs, where they build, drop and how I want them to fit together. In the mean time I'm listening and paying attention to the audio cues that a new measure is starting, a drum roll or pause, these are the spots you want to pick to mix in and out.

My suggestion is that you take the time to listen to the music you have for a bit, learn the standard cues for your genre and play with mixing from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ktrak View Post
    For me, I didn't even consider getting better quality gear than my $100 numark mixtrack and the $20 numark headphones till I felt I was limited by it. It's like giving some 15 year old a ferrari as their first car, overkill and probably not deserving of it. Take your time to master the basics like everyone else has said and become super comfortable with simple gear. Once you start feeling limited then grow into better gear. If you own a mixer costing a few thousand dollars it doesn't mean you know how to use it, despite its ability to go through a few tours of war unscathed.

Take your time, enjoy your music, and mix without using numbers completely, just listen to the sound.

EDIT:

Also when has anyone ever had a mixer thrown at a wall and kept playing *cue youtube video where this actually happens*. An S2 or even a mixtrack, despite it lacking jogwheels made of carbon fiber would be a great place to start.
    I'm just saying I want a mixer that wont break easy. I'll probably end up purchasing the s2 again, I had no complaints on that mixer besides the cheap plastic feel.

On the music factor. Yeah I have a huge collection and will listen to one track then move onto another track. But I listen to them as I lay in bed then fall asleep to it. I can hear the changes but I still have a hard time of deciding on my own. Like "hmm should i mix this breakdown into a buildup, should both of the songs be playing at the same time" I guess that's something I need to learn on my own.

But now that someone mentioned that usually you mix the last 32 beats into the first 32 beats. I'm going to experience with that.
    I usually transition from one song to the other but don't have both playing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by rdale View Post
    I go thru music buying spurts... that doesn't mean I'm not constantly digging and getting tracks, but every couple of months my collection will expand a bunch with stuff I missed or put off buying, or there is just a ton more of what I'm enjoying available. In the mean time it means I'm playing the songs I have more and understanding them better, finding new ways to incorporate tunes I love and have the structure, especially when weird, understood. Too many tracks too fast with out taking the time to absorb them, I think hurts my ability to dj.

Right now it is all about liquid dnb with a big band swing jazz feel, and nuerofunk tracks that sound like a cosmic funk band playing from a space station that has my attention. If tomorrow I find 20 songs that fit this, i'm getting them and sorting it out proper and go back into education mode and learn the songs, where they build, drop and how I want them to fit together. In the mean time I'm listening and paying attention to the audio cues that a new measure is starting, a drum roll or pause, these are the spots you want to pick to mix in and out.

My suggestion is that you take the time to listen to the music you have for a bit, learn the standard cues for your genre and play with mixing from there.
    Will do more listening of my tracks. I have so many so I takes weeks to get back around. I don't listen to the same track over and over basically. Usually i'll play some trance tracks then move onto some house then back down the list. Maybe I should just keep the same song on repeat for hours lol.

I just don't get why you need something that won't break easy.
    Are you planning on dropping it? Throwing it at walls? Ragging it like a one night stand?
    There is nothing flimsy about the S2, it is used by a lot of people I know, as well as a lot of successful DJ's.
    You made a mistake pal.
    Stop trying to run before you can walk.. actually before you can crawl.
    http://soundcloud.com/squirec Mixes mainly containing funky/disco/chicago/swing house. Although, there's always room for a little something different.
    Equipment: 15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2012), Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk2 x 2, Pioneer DJM 700, Sennheiser HD25 Mk2 headphones.

Woke up in the middle of the morning (5am) and tried some of these 32 beat techniques.

edit: Well I don't plan on doing either of those. But I should aim for good quality built mixer.
    I'll probably end up getting another s2 since most of two channel mixers are quite more expensive.
    Last edited by hola amigos; 12-05-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hola amigos View Post
    Yeah I do half ass everything I do. I know this and it pisses me off lol.
    I buy the equipment play around with it. Don't understand as fast as I want then I put down for awhile. In this case got pissed returned my s2 and headphones then just tried to mix without a mixer and heaphones.
    Without trying to sound preachy about what an art DJing is, if you want to at all be successful or do well, you need to get over this.

DJing is a surprisingly complex thing that literally just takes time and experience - there is no substitute, there's very little difference raw talent will make in the first months and years of doing it, you just need to learn to think about music differently and pick up on cues from crowds and build concrete lists of intangible things like 'track energy' in your head. It was said in one of the DJTT articles that gladwell's 10,000 hours rule applies, and I think that's DEFINITELY the truth. If you want to be part of the community and really understand what you're doing, you're going to need to actually expend the effort. Until you get the real basics down through hard work, there's no one-liner tips or brief video tutorials we can show you which will really improve things much for you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by protocollie View Post
    Without trying to sound preachy about what an art DJing is, if you want to at all be successful or do well, you need to get over this.

DJing is a surprisingly complex thing that literally just takes time and experience - there is no substitute, there's very little difference raw talent will make in the first months and years of doing it, you just need to learn to think about music differently and pick up on cues from crowds and build concrete lists of intangible things like 'track energy' in your head. It was said in one of the DJTT articles that gladwell's 10,000 hours rule applies, and I think that's DEFINITELY the truth. If you want to be part of the community and really understand what you're doing, you're going to need to actually expend the effort. Until you get the real basics down through hard work, there's no one-liner tips or brief video tutorials we can show you which will really improve things much for you at all.
    +1

Makes me laugh all the people that are like "DJ'ing is easy"
    Being the people who have never touched a turntable in their life.
    Just think that playing 2 songs together turns them into an instant Swedish House Mafia.
    Who as a group, aren't DJ's. They're performers.
    http://soundcloud.com/squirec Mixes mainly containing funky/disco/chicago/swing house. Although, there's always room for a little something different.
    Equipment: 15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2012), Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk2 x 2, Pioneer DJM 700, Sennheiser HD25 Mk2 headphones.

Tech Guru

i actually cant believe this question has been asked...

but, im guessing you are trying to mix radio edits...get some full length tracks, even some prog or deep house and try mixing those...

or just quit
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Don't quit. If it's something you enjoy then you'll just have to start dedicating time to it everyday no questions asked. If you spin, it will come
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast