where is the build up of a song?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default where is the build up of a song?

I have traktor pro 2 software.

I enabled the setting that tells me numbers above each track. *forgot* the name of the setting.

I still not sure where the build up is and when to bring in the next track and when I do they clash or sound terrible even with sync enabled. My mixes are quite boring since I can't find certain spots. Even with the number bar showing how many bpms and bars.

Are every track put at the same spot by numbers? like build up is always at 8 bars every track or is that something I need to know by the change is sound?

Listen to the track...

Geeze do you really need traktor to tell you EVERYTHING? You cant listen to the song and decide yourself?

Not sure when to bring in a new track and stop the one thats playing.

The Ol' Mix by Numbers ploy. I did a paint by numbers of the Mona Lisa and sold it to the Louvre in Paris. Made a Killing!!! Seriously?!?!?!?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I'll try a short 5 minute mix and upload here so you can hear what i'm talking about.

Are you kidding me?? How did you made it this far into this forum?! 181 posts?! Search youtube for dj lessons or something, but dude a build up?! Everyone knows where the build up is! It's that part of a song where the confetti canons get loaded, the champagne bottles are shaked and crowd gets ready to jump!
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Mentor

Wow, just wow. Are you even listening to your tracks?

Im not normally a d**k on these forums but you really need to understand the basics of song structure and basic music listening before you should even purchase hardware or software.

If you really need step by step instructions on how to find a breakdown, then follow the steps below:

Take a few months of just listening to tracks, no mixing. Just get an mp3 player and listen to them. Then, take a few more months and decide what kind of music you like. Then take a few months and decide what style of that music you like. Then take a few weeks to buy some tunes of that style.

Then, get some equipment. Take a few months of just learning that equipment and software inside and out. Then, take a few more months of learning how to do basic mixing of said music we collected earlier.

Buy more music.

Listen to that music, then listen to your collection again. Cultivate your library.

Take a few more months of time to learn some basic tricks of DJing.

Buy more music.

Listen to that music, then listen to your collection again. Cultivate your library.

Talk to some people in your area about playing somewhere. Not a club or bar, but maybe a coffee shop, and hookah lounge or an art gallery.

Buy more music.

By now, youll know what a breakdown is.

If you still want to be a DJ at this point, then youre a lot farther progressed then most newcomers nowadays.

C'mon guys don't be so harsh, but just listen to the music and i'm sure you can figure it out man its not that hard.

Tech Mentor

the build up is exactly as it says... the spot where it builds up. alot of tracks its where you hear that kick or snare go from 4 a measure to 8/16/32 etc etc. you usually have a intro, then a break or not, the build up. its the point before the " drop" or climatic parts. where alot of fans/crowd feel is the big booming part, makes you say ohhh i like that , and such. its building up to the climax. and then the breakdown is obviously the opposite. breaking down from the climax to release tension into the next part. youll see in traktor with size of the waveforms kinda where stuff is.if you use spectrum version and see the different colors you can kinda tell where sections are. youll notice tracks start out small and get large in size, and then smaller section in between. with same bpm ( that number about songs, as you say) you can mix the new track in usually fairly easily when using the breakdown of playing track to mix in the intro of new track.

look on youtube for dodge and fuski tutorials. they have a song structure tut/lesson that kinda breaks down the layout of most tracks.
    Last edited by MoeHawk; 12-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.

A crappy quick mix. Trying to transition from one track to the other. Doesn't sound good.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast