My First Tutorial - Getting a Fat Bass Line In Ableton Using Chain Effects
    Tech Wizard

Default My First Tutorial - Getting a Fat Bass Line In Ableton Using Chain Effects

Hey Everyone, so I finally decided to take a little time and try my hand at doing a video tutorial. I personally hate my voice, so it was very hard for me to get over and do this lol.

But this is a nice simple tutorial for Ableton users on how to create a nice distortion on say a baseline, group those channels and then chain them with the original sound to mix and get a nice blend of original bass line mixed with your distortion effects.

In this tutorial I used Sausage Fattener, and Ohmacide. But you can use this for any effects distortion or others and get some cool effects. I hope you enjoy. This might seem a little bit of a beginner level for some people so I am sorry for that.

J.D.

Tech Wizard

Thank you, I am glad you found it useful

Pro tip :

Any user approximately judges of the quality and relevance of a video on the internet in 15 seconds on average. Then, either they keep on watching or quit. You need to hook people.
    You should ALWAYS show the ending result of your tutorial at the very beginning.

It will help you to get more views because people will be hooked.
    You will save 5 minutes of someone's time if your tut is not what he's looking for.

Also, and i m not trying to be an ass, cause u clearly did an effort and wanted to share some knowledge wich is always good...just trying to be constructive. Make sure u pretty much master what u r gonna teach... learn what something does and why it sounds the way it sounds... so u can explain more. And make sure what u r teaching is legit, u dont wanna stear some poor noob to a completely wrong path... cause here in ur tutorial it would maybe be better to explain some other techniques involved in shaping a bass sound...like frequency splitting... layering... equing... compressing...etc. I know each of those could be their own tutorial, but i feel some of them are far more important in getting a fat bass then distorsion.... Effects like distorsion should really be used in moderation specially for beginners, cause they quickly make a big mess aout of everything... learn how to make a nasty sound within ur synth... learn to shape and modulate it with other tools u have and then just use distorsion to bring some of the elements out and make em more agresive... just my opinion on the subject. Plus when creating a bass sound u really shouldnt distort a lot ur sub frequencies (maybe just a touch... but not that much).
    Sorry i ll stop nagging and give u some credit for showing how to create an effect rack... this is usefull stuff for beginners. Anyway, pls dont let me discourage u... i would just maybe suggest that u start with little tricks u know... like creating an effect rack... creating some macros, creating a wobble automation (just a few ideas) and start there, and then when u r more comfortable with ur own production u can make more complex tutorials... good luck and sorry for the long text.

edit: and +1 for the 1st tip

Tech Wizard

Your comment is a little condescending, which makes you sound kind of like an ass.

It's not just about making an effects rack, its about using the chain ability to blend the sounds together so you are not doing stuff like over distortion.

There are tons of tutorials about making and mapping macro's in effects rack, this is a different approach to other things you can do inside both the effects rack, and using chain abilities.

I'm not expecting this tutorial to be for everyone, just like with anything else there is no one sure fire way to get a certain sound and not one tutorial will help someone make a specific sound, this is just one way to get a better bass line, there are tons of more things you could do.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Pro tip :

Any user approximately judges of the quality and relevance of a video on the internet in 15 seconds on average. Then, either they keep on watching or quit. You need to hook people.
    You should ALWAYS show the ending result of your tutorial at the very beginning.

It will help you to get more views because people will be hooked.
    You will save 5 minutes of someone's time if your tut is not what he's looking for.
    Yea and I totally spaced on that part.... I know exactly what you mean because that's totally true, next time I'll remember to show the sound I'm making first, rookie tutorial maker mistake lol

I don't want to sound like an ass either but to some extent I agree with luxi.
    You made a great effort, and it's thanks to guys like you that I learned stuff on production.

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime".

For serious beginners (and not some bro willing to make tEh SkIlL3x B4sS) it's way better to teach them how to get some sounds using tools (e.g. Massive + chain FX) than to give them a patch with "put this at this level, put that at that level etc..".

Again, i'll be forever grateful to guys like you who are willing to take some time to help unknown people without getting a reward back. Our comments (or at least mine, I don't like to speak for others like that) are meant to try to make your tutorials even better than they already are.

Keep it up.

PS : I was wondering, how do you manage to record the sound that goes out ? What's your soundcard ?
    I have a Creative X-Fi I use for gaming purposes and I can record thanks to "stereo mix" but unfortunately this option is not available on my M-Audio Fastrack which i use for producing.
    Did you do some virtual sound routing or your soundcard allows you to record what's going out ?

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    I don't want to sound like an ass either but to some extent I agree with luxi.
    You made a great effort, and it's thanks to guys like you that I learned stuff on production.

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime".

For serious beginners (and not some bro willing to make tEh SkIlL3x B4sS) it's way better to teach them how to get some sounds using tools (e.g. Massive + chain FX) than to give them a patch with "put this at this level, put that at that level etc..".

Again, i'll be forever grateful to guys like you who are willing to take some time to help unknown people without getting a reward back. Our comments (or at least mine, I don't like to speak for others like that) are meant to try to make your tutorials even better than they already are.

Keep it up.

PS : I was wondering, how do you manage to record the sound that goes out ? What's your soundcard ?
    I have a Creative X-Fi I use for gaming purposes and I can record thanks to "stereo mix" but unfortunately this option is not available on my M-Audio Fastrack which i use for producing.
    Did you do some virtual sound routing or your soundcard allows you to record what's going out ?
    He's using ableton, It has its own recorder?