smart mixing on a PC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default smart mixing on a PC

hi guys,

im following bentosan's smart mixing tutorial and im running into some problems

this is my overall goal: syncing my friends laptop and traktor to my laptop and traktor so we can sync into a master clock on one of our computers.

a) im on a thinkpad and im using jackdmp as opposed to jackpilot and cant seem to get jackdmp to recognize my interface.

my questions are...

1) im using an edirol UA-25 audio interface and im not sure what choice i should make on my interface pulldown tab...the options are...plughw:0, hw:0, default, or dev/dsp

2) is there another jack routing interface for PC that is easier to understand than jackdmp?

3) am i freaking out to lunch on all of this?

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    hi guys,
    this is my overall goal: syncing my friends laptop and traktor to my laptop and traktor so we can sync into a master clock on one of our computers.
    Just so you know, that tutorial is using the one computer not two, its routing audio from Traktor into Ableton on the same pc - so the article isnt very compatible for trying to sync two copies of Traktor on two different pcs.

Sadly, Traktor cannot sync to a external clock, it can only send its own internal clock out to a program that can receive an external clock(like Ableton). So one of you would have to host the sync and the other person would have to manually sync their traktor by hand to the others :\

So you might as well just be feeding both of your computers audio into traditional 2 channel mixer
    Last edited by BentoSan; 07-25-2008 at 10:56 AM.

haha ok...thanks bentosan. that probably saved us hours of trouble shooting.

the other option would also be to just use one traktor...but we were finding that there was a tonne of focus deck changing...that was conflicting when one person was doing his thing and the other was trying to load his decks.

anyway thanks a tonne bento. we'll keep given'r.

Dont use focus then there are many ways around it, i dont use focus at all and i am only mixing with one person on traktor.

Tech Mentor

can you generate / sync to midi clock from Traktor

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpress View Post
    can you generate / sync to midi clock from Traktor
    You can only generate (send) midi clock. Traktor cannot receive midi clock.

Tech Mentor

bummer. But theoretically then you could use Traktor to send clock to Ableton?

(not a traktor user...)

Yups.. that's what the smart mixing articles are about on the blog.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpress View Post
    bummer. But theoretically then you could use Traktor to send clock to Ableton?

(not a traktor user...)
    Ya part of my smart mixing article was achieving that sync
    |
    \ /

Default mo problems

hey guys.

ive been trying now to do the smart mixing just as bentos guide suggest.

the only thing different is im using maple instead of midi-yoke cuz i am on a vista machine...and it seems to be working fine.

im following the guide to a tee...but i run into problems during:

a) when my ableton tries to access the side chain compressor in the folder...it causes ableton to crash...im not sure how crucial it is...so i removed the vst compressor from the folder...and restarted belvarios smart mixer and just let it go without the compressor and continue on the guide.

[is there something wrong with the compressor? or my ableton?]

b) following along i get to routing abletons input and outputs...and im stumped again. i set pretty much every input and output on and nothing comes out when i press play in traktor.

[is there another way of finding out which inputs and outputs VAC is using?]

can someone let me know what im doing wrong?

-clearly not smart enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast