Opinions RE Z2/F1/X1/SL1200s vs. DDJ-SX/SL1200
    Tech Convert

Default Opinions RE Z2/F1/X1/SL1200s vs. DDJ-SX/SL1200

Hi,

I bought a VCI-100SE as soon as Ean had them available, but my schoolwork and subsequent career had prevented me from really delving into it's creativity as much as I'd like. Years later I find myself with the cash and time to re-invest. Looking back I would have got an S4, but with the unit being dated at this time, the DDJ-SX seemed like the best option for me (not mobile) so I pulled the trigger at $775 (no tax/ship).

I'm still awaiting delivery, but the more I've been thinking about it (and seeing the limited software), the more I'm leaning away from it for the following reasons:

1) Effects are not that impressive, sure the filter apparently sound great, but I feel like the fader effects combos I had even with my VCI-100SE trump the DDJ-SX. The roller/slicer does look really interesting, but now with Flux mode and 2.6's macro effects, NI just seems to blow Serato out of the water creatively.

2) DVS, I really want it. Hands down I plan to buy some SL-1200s. Currently Serato DJ will not work with timecodes (I would need to get a Rane soundcard and run SSL). I could plug the turntables into the DDJ-SX, but I would have to own records. This is 2012, I don't want to have to buy wax to supplement my mostly FLAC collection. I could run Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6 and run a timecode on the SL's easily with a Z2.

3) Remix decks have me hooked. I ordered a MF3D and am really excited to jam with it. The F1 looks nice as well (especially size-wise opposite a X1).

4) The DJTT community is quite awesome. From custom TSI's to hacking the MF3D to work like a F1, I really like the support I'd have here sticking with Traktor

I've narrowed my setup down to a Z2 with (so glad there's a usb hub) a X1 for basic effect and control operations, and a MF3D + F1 to control the other two remix decks. I may start with the MF3D first and add the F1 later, or sell the MF3D and get an F1 to start (haven't decided). Then I would have SL1200s with timecodes so I could scratch and use the platters for effects (this is possible still right?). I don't think I would need 2 X1s, right?

The disadvantage to this vs. the DDJ-SX would be the true lack of 4 channels. The DDJ has the nice pads, but a F1/MF3D would top even those. The fit and finish of the Pioneer is better too. Also the Z2 @ $800, X1 @ $200 and F1 @ $250, even after 15% off, is still more than the SX. Without the F1 it's pretty close.

I would like an S5 or DDJ-TX which had remix functions in the way of some nice pads as well as four channels. I would need to also be able to control timecodes via vinyl. I don't think this is happening any time soon. Perhaps a Z4 will be release, but I think having two remix decks (with additional 'channels' on those) would be fine for my bedroom DJ purposes.

Sorry for the long, almost rambling post, but this is quite important to me and I want to make the most informed decision. I will spin mostly for my own house parties (50-100 people) and have a pretty extensive sound and lighting setup for a duplex. I care the most about creativity, remixing, and having fun. I hope this helps, thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

Dump the z2 and get a decent mixer.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

the DDJ SX works fine with Traktor, not perfect for scratching, but you plan on using timecode for that anyway.
    The DDJ SX might be a good choice even if you choose to get Traktor Scratch because you get really much controll over Traktor using only SX.
    I've used my SX with Traktor from day one, only just messed around with Serato Dj but not feeling it ar all.
    At first I thought that the DDJ SX+ SL1200 would be a verry big setup but then I looked at my F1 and in my head added a X1 and realized that the other setup is almost the same size.
    With the DDJ SX timecode setup you need an extra soundcard + lots of cables, but you should have no problem DJ'ing using only SX
    With Z2 you can hook up SL1200 straight to mixer lots of devices in differant sizes and slightly less cables. not as easy to DJ without the TT's without using sync
    And you say you mainly going to use it for you house partys therefor none of the problems with connection, amount of devices should realy be a problem.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dj gullum View Post
    the DDJ SX works fine with Traktor, not perfect for scratching, but you plan on using timecode for that anyway.
    The DDJ SX might be a good choice even if you choose to get Traktor Scratch because you get really much controll over Traktor using only SX.
    I've used my SX with Traktor from day one, only just messed around with Serato Dj but not feeling it ar all.
    At first I thought that the DDJ SX+ SL1200 would be a verry big setup but then I looked at my F1 and in my head added a X1 and realized that the other setup is almost the same size.
    With the DDJ SX timecode setup you need an extra soundcard + lots of cables, but you should have no problem DJ'ing using only SX
    With Z2 you can hook up SL1200 straight to mixer lots of devices in differant sizes and slightly less cables. not as easy to DJ without the TT's without using sync
    And you say you mainly going to use it for you house partys therefor none of the problems with connection, amount of devices should realy be a problem.
    Size is not my primary concern. I really do like the idea of using Traktor Scratch with the DDJ-SX, just never thought it would work. I would also have to upgrade my old Traktor to TSP2.6 or w/e. I feel like a non-NI device may be too much of a hassle even though the DDJ-SX seems to otherwise fit most of my needs. Does flux mode and the remixing work well with the DDJ-SX? Can you hook up a F1 to the DDJ-SX too? I know it's midi mappable for aux controllers, but I was not sure to what extent. I also got a MF3D when they were on sale last week, but don't really know what I would use it with besides remix mode, etc.

I haven't really seen to much documentation on the SX in Traktor as only as few have ditched Serato DJ right away. That's why I was beginning to just go with where all the support was, NI's actual gear with a solid forum and Ean to have a bunch of tutorials on how to make mixes, etc.

Finally what did you mean regarding sync? I know I wouldn't be able to in straight up analgoue mode, but with any other the softwares I would still plan to use it (if needed of course )

To get DDJ SX working with timecode in Traktor you need this at a minimum Traktor Scratch a6/ to connect the Turntables.
    The F1 is hooked up with only 1 USB (Same as the MF3D) to the computer all audio is handled by Traktor so no problem with it working with DDJ SX.
    It is allways safer to go with the hardware made by same manufactor that made the software.

With sync I was just refering to not having pitch fader or a plate to bend
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)