Music Management Using iTunes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DJ 2 Cut View Post
    Scary indeed. Use it as an opportunity to get rid of some bloat tracks in your collection. As I was moving to this method it gave me a chance to weed out tracks that just weren't working for me anymore as well as some lower quality tracks that just needed to go and shouldn't have been I my collection to begin with.

The smart lists also make it easy to find imperfections in your collection. I created a list to find any tracks missing Key data just by putting in Comments - Contain - " " (Nothing) and BOOM instantly found half a dozen tracks that slipped through the cracks

Alright you've convinced me. I know I've got a lot of junk floating around that needs to be either sorted or deleted. Looks like it's time for some spring cleaning!

Quote Originally Posted by stevohill View Post
    2 Cut, you couldn't have posted this at a better time. I've been seriously needing to better organize my library. Previously went through and cleaned out the "bloat tracks" as you put it, but have been in dire need of better organization/sorting. Your method is exactly what I've been wanting to do, and using the iTunes Smart Playlist seems perfect. Now, I just need to set aside a weekend to get this done...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokari View Post
    Alright you've convinced me. I know I've got a lot of junk floating around that needs to be either sorted or deleted. Looks like it's time for some spring cleaning!
    Glad to see I could help. If anyone has any questions feel free to put them here or send me a PM.

Tech Wizard

Can anyone help with this? I can't understand why there's a difference in the number of tracks. It makes me not trust the whole smart playlist thing, this is the first time I've attempted to use iTunes to organise my files for Traktor.

1579 tracks imported to 'DJ Tunes' playlist.

Smart Playlist titled 'All' only has the rule "Playlist is DJ Tunes" so should contain the exact same as the 'DJ Tunes' playlist but it only has 1571 tracks. Any ideas? What has happened to the other 8 tracks? I worry that this problem is only going to get worse as the amount of tunes is multiplied by about 10.

Quote Originally Posted by ad357 View Post
    Can anyone help with this? I can't understand why there's a difference in the number of tracks. It makes me not trust the whole smart playlist thing, this is the first time I've attempted to use iTunes to organise my files for Traktor.

1579 tracks imported to 'DJ Tunes' playlist.

Smart Playlist titled 'All' only has the rule "Playlist is DJ Tunes" so should contain the exact same as the 'DJ Tunes' playlist but it only has 1571 tracks. Any ideas? What has happened to the other 8 tracks? I worry that this problem is only going to get worse as the amount of tunes is multiplied by about 10.

Your right if that’s the criteria then it should be pulling the same thing.

I am unable to see the screenshots because I am at work. (firewall ) Have you been able to determine which of the tracks are missing? Or at least one to look at and compare?

Once I get home from work to take a peek at your screenshots maybe I will see something I'm not getting now. Off at 7PM CST

Tech Wizard

The screenshots are just showing what I've described anyway. They're really just proof that I haven't done something stupid lol. I'll have a look just now & see if I can figure out what tracks it's missing.

Tech Wizard

I think I've figured it out. All it seems to be doing is not pulling duplicates across, which is fine. Now I feel stupid haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Never understood the star rating but you gave me an idea, i could use the stars for warm ups, peak and bangers!
    Agree, I've been putting a lot of hours into the star rating but am having difficulty with it achieving any real meaning. Having tracks from chiller genres like deep house, and songs from intense genres like Drum and Bass...

To others using the star rating...is the stars relative to your entire collection, genre, other? Because right now all my deep house tracks being the less intense genre I play would get 1 stars I guess??

Tech Wizard

I think you'd definitely need to do it relative to genre, otherwise what's the point? Tag all my chillout tracks as 1 star? Why bother?

Btw - Thanks for this thread OP, I've been meaning to sort out my tunes properly for ages. This seems to be working quite well so far.

I think I've figured it out. All it seems to be doing is not pulling duplicates across, which is fine. Now I feel stupid haha.
    Good to hear. I was really racking my brain on it too because I've never seen it not work. (always user error on my part if its not working)

I think you'd definitely need to do it relative to genre, otherwise what's the point? Tag all my chillout tracks as 1 star? Why bother?

Btw - Thanks for this thread OP, I've been meaning to sort out my tunes properly for ages. This seems to be working quite well so far.
    Yeah I'm still playing around with stars because I have run into this issue as well. I want to use them because the more information I can get from a track at a glance the better.

I've been toying around with maybe doing like 1-Warmup / 3-Peak / 5-Closer for their respective genres.

So my chill list will still have star ratings throughout as just a reference point for where a track might fit through out a set.

Does anyone else have any good ideas for an effective way to use star ratings? Or should I just give up on that idea now? lol

Star rating would have to go hand in hand with genre - like ad357 said.

A 5* jungle tune will not mix well with a 5* ambient tune...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast