FEEDBACK REQUESTED - Mukka (NY/DC) - New Mix
    Tech Convert

Default FEEDBACK REQUESTED - Mukka (NY/DC) - New Mix

Hello Fellow Jockeys -

I would appreciate any and all feedback on my latest mix (here: http://snd.sc/119GIYI). It's a secret file as of now.

I spun it live using my S2 and Traktor Pro. I spin across genres but generally release mixes that walk the line between electro house and trance. I usually stick to about 128 BPMs. I would really appreciate your honest feedback. I'm at the stage where I'm trying to hone in on my sound and getting your impressions is vital. Feel free to comment directly on the mix in Soundcloud.

I'm also more than happy to listen to your work if you need a fresh pair of ears.

Much appreciated,
    Mukka

Tech Convert

i'm really new at this so i'm not sure if i can give you the constructive feedback you're after... but i'm really impressed by the track transitions. how long have you making mixes?

would be great if you checked out my mix too:

http://soundcloud.com/boywithlamp/never-stop

thanks

I enjoyed the selection of music, I am usually not a fan of electro, but this sounded pleasant. In fact it exceeded my expectations. Maybe it was just my luck stumbling upon very generic electro sound in some mixes I heard. Digged the more straight up trance tunes, but that's more to my taste. Always glad to hear some classic tunes too. I listened to it throughout as I was curious about your music choice, that's a huge positive thing in my books.

The mix itself was done well for the most part, but transitions could've been more well thought out, you cut out of the tunes too quickly and several times tune that followed wasn't up to an energy level of the previous one. Music like this can benefit from some very beautiful wave riding, try it out if you haven't yet, you might find some whole new uncharted territory there :P

Around 28:30 the transitioned tune had a lower volume too. Usage of gater (I assume) around 30:30 was VERY VERY harsh, up to the point that at 31:10 it was abrasive. I also didn't notice much of FX usage previous to that so it was very unexpected/sounded broken. Tune's drop was luscious, the FX kinda killed the vibe.

Hope no offence is taken, it's subjective after all.

All the best to you, man. Keep on practicing. Cheers!

Tech Convert

Default Thanks for the feedback so far

monogammee - not only do I not take offence but I actually agree with most of your comments. I will use them to record another (and improved) version. Thanks for taking the time to listen and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

boywithlamp - thanks so much for the listen and advice. It's much appreciated. I took a listen to your mix. I appreciate listening to deep house whenever I get the chance as it's generally not what I spin. Overall, good job for one of your first mixes.

A few comments and questions:

1. Can you ID the tracks at 14:25, 17:07, ? I really dig it.

2. What program do you use? Did you master it?

3. This comment may or may not be relevant on what you're going for with this mix. I never felt turned off by your transitions - a good thing for beginners like us - but would have preferred if they were a little more 'crisp'. By that, I mean that song A and song B are layered over one another in a reasonable manner (chorus / chorus, verse / verse, bridge / bridge) and the transition to song B occurs at a natural juncture (beginning of song B vocals, a song B break - by this I mean a break in the bass, beginning of song B chorus). This keeps me engaged throughout the mix. I sometimes felt like I was being dragged on.

Make sense? Happy to keep chatting.

Tech Convert

mukka - thanks mate for taking time to listen and critique my mix :-)
    1. on my mixcloud page ive ID marked all the tracks (http://www.mixcloud.com/boywithlamp/never-stop/) - but at 14:25 its Gesaffelstein: Speechless feat. Carl Craig & La Scalars and at 17:07 the track is Frankie Knuckles: Baby Wants To Ride (Bubba & T. Bone’S Still Believing Re-Edit)
    2. I use Traktor 2.6 and denon dj mc3000 controller on a mac, and no i did'nt master it, how would i do that? lol
    3. and comment 3 lol, i'm not entirely sure what you mean... but i kind of think youre saying that sometimes my transition between tracks is a bit labored? maybe? i definately agree that the mixes need to be more crisp tho

Send me a link to more of your mixes, happy to listen... hopefully as i start to understand the technical stuff a bit more I'll be able to give you some more informed feedback

cheers

Tech Convert

Default How to master on the cheap....

@boywithlamp - download audacity and watch this youtube video. Great free way to add some power to your mix. Lets keep in touch.