Can you recommend some cdjs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Can you recommend some cdjs?

So i do house parties at college, and after using a controller a few times, I realized id much rather replace a cdj or a mixer than a laptop should a drink hit any of my equipment. That being said, I dont have a ton of money to spen. Mixer, ive got covered, and itll most likely be this: Pioneer

Anyways, as for cdjs, I cant really find dependent feedback on cheaper cjds. Usually the reviews seem saccharine and theres too much praise, or they are bashing the product... Basically no clear pros/cons are highlighted. Just one or the other.

So these are the possible cdjs:

Pioneer CDJ 200

Gemini CDJ 600/700

Numark NDX 400

Maybe a Denon? I've heard they are pretty decent, but I cant find much on them...

Please let me know which you've had experience with/ you recommend! And I know people tend to recommend Pioneer cdj 400/800, but just presume I cant get any of ebay or whatever. I just need something that can play music consistently. Thanks!

I love the pioneer cdj but i don;t really have any experience with any cdj but ide probly go for that

get a set of used cdj 400s if you can. They are great to start on, and if you look on ebay you're bound to find a bargain.
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

The gemini CDJ 700's are decent and some say better than the pioneer CDJ 900's. The only thing they lack is rekordbox.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Out of the list you quoted the only one I could recommend for any serious use/gigging would be the pioneer 200's,

The Gemini / Numark -are fine pieces of kit for Home/Houseparty, But I would not use them for anything mission critical e.g. mobile gigs without having a third one as a backup.

Really do try for CDJ400's they are solid pieces of kit, will last and you can pick them up pretty reasonable S/H even if it means waiting for a few weeks more, you WILL be thankful, the USB functionality alone is worth it never mind the rest of the features.

Denons are a reliable solution but I reckon out of your budget for the better models (1200, 3500, 5000)

If its just for screwing around at home/houseparty's and making the eventual transition to clubs, and if you dont need midi - the Gemini's cdj-600's for sure 100% (at the current price I'm thinking of getting a pair for screwing around at home). They are just stupidly low cost full size / full function CDJ and possibly the closest to a "real" pioneer cdj-800 without the price tag.

*edit* musicians friend have the CDJ-600 for $150 ATM and they have accidental damage insurance on gear for $20.

Also that Refurb DJM-250 is a ridiculous price for $120 bucks !!!
    Last edited by deevey; 12-07-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Tech Mentor

Stay away from anything Gemini.. they are not good for ANYTHING. Pieces of crap IMO. Anyhow, I have owned the 200's and 400's. The 400's have a few extra features on them, but not enough to justify the price over the 200's . I would stick with the 200's.

Also, don't be afraid of the Denons if you have a bit of extra cash, they are solid as well.

Tech Wizard

I dunno...laptops are getting cheaper and cheaper and I would find replacing CDJs and or a mixer more expensive?
    I almost went your route until I started looking at the hassle. I bought an old macbook (white) on ebay and maxed it out with RAM and only use it for DJing. If it gets messed up it was a cheap ebay buy.
    Just a lot to carry to a party with CDJs, Mixer, plus CDs

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Stay away from anything Gemini.. they are not good for ANYTHING. Pieces of crap IMO.
    People say the same thing about Behringer - Here's the thing people generally only report on the bad, rarely report good and theres ALOT more behringer and gemini mixers out there than Pioneer.

If you can back up that every piece of Gemini gear you've owned/used and abused in the past fell apart/didn't work went back for returns etc .. Sure you have an argument, 99/100 pieces of their kit are fine out of the box though.

Saying something is crap due to hearsay is just plain silly.

Tech Mentor

Why are you assuming hear say? I have been playing with different gear since probably 1998 (not long by any means, but long enough) to know when anyone buys a Gemini anything, it breaks on them. I am speaking from experience , and experience of friends. Now, people do praise Behringer monitors and some of their PRO line, but for the most part I their mixers are junk. Sorry, I will exclude the DDM 4000, aside from the sound quality (not on par with A&H, Ecler etc), they get pretty positive reviews.

Anyhow, most (if not all people) will either upgrade from their Gemini , or quit DJing all together.

Tech Convert

yea the main purpose of this stuff is for house parties. And i enjoy using traktor like i do now, and i feel like its a very good part of a djs arsenal with basically endless possibilities due to the remix decks and such, but I kinda enjoy not having a laptop screen in front of me/ anywhere near me for that matter.

I've used pioneer 400s once and they felt nice, but they seem like to big of an investment for house parties where everyones drunk.

Ive been looking on ebay recently, but I think i may wait to after the holidays for people possibly selling old stuff.

and thanks to you all for responding. I know the whole "which is best" usually ends in a toss up so its nice to have different opinions/ pros and cons for everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast