A question for all the dubstep goers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default A question for all the dubstep goers

Quick question for ya'll. How do you mix a tune thats not harmonically compatible? What is your technique for the butteriest blend? Thanks!

Banned

People actually *mix* dubstep?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyflip View Post
    People actually *mix* dubstep?
    What else would it be called? Its not just cut and paste.

Banned

Well... Mixing is not synonymous with DJing. Most DJs "transition" but they call it "mixing".
    Every Dubstep DJ I've ever heard (and I've heard hundreds more than I'd like) has just transitioned between tracks during breakdowns/buildups, and called that "mixing". Is that what you're talking about, or are you talking about double dropping and mixing actual verses?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyflip View Post
    Well... Mixing is not synonymous with DJing. Most DJs "transition" but they call it "mixing".
    Every Dubstep DJ I've ever heard (and I've heard hundreds more than I'd like) has just transitioned between tracks during breakdowns/buildups, and called that "mixing". Is that what you're talking about, or are you talking about double dropping and mixing actual verses?
    My bad yo. I should have made my question much more clear. Transitioning is a much better word to use. I'm struggling with "transitioning" during the break down. Lets say track B is playing and it reaches its 16 bar breakdown, and I start playing track A with its 32 bar intro and in hopes of transitioning into track A by time track B has finished its breakdown and has began its build up. Do I bring track A slowly into track B even though it has clashing elements. Eq'ing can only do so much, you know what I mean? Whats your take on something like this?

When I mixed dubstep I didn't have very many long winded blends. It was a lot of quick cuts by swapping drops or only using the build up of a song then dropping another. Most of the time I hear dubstep djs doing a lot of longer transitions it usually sounds awful. There's too much going on so it just sounds too busy and at the same time really flat because there's no more headroom.

As far as your question, I tend to not bother mixing things that aren't harmonically compatible and will lead to dissonance. I guess you could change the key if youre using software...as long as it doesn't make the song sound wierd. Some types of effects would probably work too.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

if they´re harmonicaly not compatible i wouldn´t "mix" them together. try and find a tune that fits.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote View Post
    My bad yo. I should have made my question much more clear. Transitioning is a much better word to use. I'm struggling with "transitioning" during the break down. Lets say track B is playing and it reaches its 16 bar breakdown, and I start playing track A with its 32 bar intro and in hopes of transitioning into track A by time track B has finished its breakdown and has began its build up. Do I bring track A slowly into track B even though it has clashing elements. Eq'ing can only do so much, you know what I mean? Whats your take on something like this?
    You just described the absolute bare-minimum of DJing.... Easiest thing you can really do. It's really a thing that just takes learning and feeling out.
    My suggestion would be to:

A: Work on track selection, so you're not transitioning between two tracks that don't work together. A lot of new DJs have it in their head that "if a DJ is good enough, they can go between any two tracks" and that's not true at all. A good DJ knows which tracks to play together.

B: work on in/out points, so that you're using the intro of track A, while track B is winding up to go into the breakdown, then you can EQ track B so it's less prominent, without it sounding abrupt, because you've built context with track A.

Avid dubstep mixer here.

^I agree with that post.

I find that EQing properly makes loong (over 1 minute of playing together is long IMO) blends a breeze if you choose the right songs. This how I do 95% of my transitions: have all the EQ killed and add and subtract frequencies to your liking.
    But I would advise against using this kind of mixing with heavy dubstep with lots of prominent stuff going on or tunes with a lot of vocals, if you got a tune like that on your hands then I say work a quick transition out. Or mix only in the break.
    Or if you reach a 16 bar break, start the incoming track at bar 16 instead of bar 1, then you can double drop if you want.

Maybe upload a mix for more directed answers.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Avid dubstep mixer here.

^I agree with that post.

I find that EQing properly makes loong (over 1 minute of playing together is long IMO) blends a breeze if you choose the right songs. This how I do 95% of my transitions: have all the EQ killed and add and subtract frequencies to your liking.
    But I would advise against using this kind of mixing with heavy dubstep with lots of prominent stuff going on or tunes with a lot of vocals, if you got a tune like that on your hands then I say work a quick transition out. Or mix only in the break.
    Or if you reach a 16 bar break, start the incoming track at bar 16 instead of bar 1, then you can double drop if you want.

Maybe upload a mix for more directed answers.
    Alright. Thanks for all the replys. I'll be uploading a mix sometime today. Thanks again for all the feedback, this site is pretty much the shit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast