New Years Eve Rate? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

Oh and make sure to ask them what they think about the price. Otherwise, they'll get someone else without telling you (happened to me).

When I first started, I would charge $150 for like 5 hours.. bringing ALL my equipment.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Tech Wizard

It depends on a number of factors on how much you should charge. Do people have to pay cover for the bar? Is the cover expensive?

Also, what equipement are you bringing? For any gig if you have to bring equipement i.e speakers, you have to charge a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    So they "asked around but still want [me] to do it" They said everyone they asked ballparked between $200-$250.. to me that seems a little low for new years eve and bringing your own PA system.. im considering it since it will be at a local bar i want to get my foot in the door in for the spring. Basically some acquaintances of mine are setting up the event and will be with local friends from my city. They are charing $40 in advance ($50 at the door) for open bar for the night (3 and 1/2 hours total). Dont know if this is to low of an offer? Part of me wants to do it but I know NYE can be very high stress to DJ and also theres also the point where Im basically giving up my night to dj.
    Based on what you've said, I think it may be a good idea to take the gig, as it is your first gig.

But the reality is that they are low-balling you. Everyone that they asked probably ball-parked it at $500+, as they had to bring their own sound, and it is 3.5 hours on NYE, which is why they "still want you to do it", as they probably know that you don't have a lot of experience, or because your friends who are organizing the event insist on using you.

This is the club's take (worst estimated case): $40 * 100 = $4000, (ideal estimate): $50 * 150 = $7500. Event is open bar, though, but the markup on alcohol is substantial.

NYE is no more stressful than any other night, really, although you have to keep in mind that you peak earlier in the night (right after the countdown to midnight), and you have to keep track of time (don't skip that countdown). As far as giving up your night, that is what happens when you DJ events at nightclubs, at night (kinda obvious, really).

Tech Mentor

How badly do you wanna dj?
    Do you have a job? Is it full time?
    Is this what you want your future to be?

It all depends on what you want. If you want to dj in the future and have no other gig, Take what ever they give you.
    If you have a job, just do this as a hobby but don't really care about the cash; ask for how ever much you want.

If its a hobby like it is to me; the only way I'm lugging gear anywhere is as a favor for a friend. $200 to bring your own gear just isn't worth it to me.

I don't want to discourage you but most djs get paid shit. Bar/club owners are trying to spend as little as possible. Generally they will take the dj that will charge the least. Most owners don't know or care about talent. They just want YOU to fill the place. They want you to do everything.

Also i hope your friends will be there with you. NYE is a time to be with friends and family. $200 Is not worth giving up that time to celebrate.

Good luck with your decision.
    Moose

Tech Wizard

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the insight - Lots of helpful thoughts, couple of fun jabs.. Wasnt trying to be pompous at all or overvaluation of self-worth - more just trying not to undersell and seem like a second-rate "cheap" dj, and to find a reasonable price point that works for both me and the guys running the show.

Going along with Moose's comments, DJ'ing is definitely a hobby for me - have a 40 hr/week day job which I actually enjoy so I mainly dj for the fun of it, and my goal/what would make me happy is to get a gig/the odd gig a couple times a month in the spring and summer in the downtown area near where I live.

Thought about it overnight, and realized that $300 (and a free ticket in for the gf) would be a point I would find comfortable to give up the night and make it happen. I think it is reasonable so going to throw it out there to the organizers of the event and if they can do that then cool, if not, I wont sweat it and Ill go do something else and have a blast as well. One of the cool things also is that most of the people going will be in my extended social circle so it's definitely an opportunity to gain a lot of exposure which I'll factor in as well.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be sure to post the results or what happens and maybe some shots of the night as well.

Cheers!
    tricks

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    My normal rate for New Year's is around 172 BPM
    You sir, are a genious!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the insight - Lots of helpful thoughts, couple of fun jabs.. Wasnt trying to be pompous at all or overvaluation of self-worth - more just trying not to undersell and seem like a second-rate "cheap" dj, and to find a reasonable price point that works for both me and the guys running the show.

Going along with Moose's comments, DJ'ing is definitely a hobby for me - have a 40 hr/week day job which I actually enjoy so I mainly dj for the fun of it, and my goal/what would make me happy is to get a gig/the odd gig a couple times a month in the spring and summer in the downtown area near where I live.

Thought about it overnight, and realized that $300 (and a free ticket in for the gf) would be a point I would find comfortable to give up the night and make it happen. I think it is reasonable so going to throw it out there to the organizers of the event and if they can do that then cool, if not, I wont sweat it and Ill go do something else and have a blast as well. One of the cool things also is that most of the people going will be in my extended social circle so it's definitely an opportunity to gain a lot of exposure which I'll factor in as well.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be sure to post the results or what happens and maybe some shots of the night as well.

Cheers!
    tricks
    Tricks, you sound like you got it all under control! Make sure the Gf is with you and make sure you have fun.

OP- I think you should take it, but to me getting the chance to play on NYE would be an honor. Those people would be trusting you to make their night enjoyable and make it a new year to remember. But since it's your first gig I don't know if charging that much would be a good idea, but like stated about it depends on where you are. Either way make sure you have a good time
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12