In your area: Does the crowd prefer original cuts or live remixes?
    Tech Convert

Default In your area: Does the crowd prefer original cuts or live remixes?

It's mainstream stuff where I'm at... Hip hop / top 40 / electro

For example I can drop die young (original cut) and the floor can be packed. But when I drop an electro track on it and use some clever cue point jumping for die youngs lyrics the dancing will slow down.

After a really sick live edit like that I'll frequently get people up to the booth telling me how they loved it, or cheers from the tables around the dj booth, but in my head I'm like how come the floor thinned out if you guys loved it so much.

Funny thing is if I were to drop that same electro track by itself the floor would be still be packed.

I guess what I'm Thinking, even though the remix is still sick, the beat has deviated from its original version so much the crowd can't identify with it as much and would rather just listen instead of dance.

What's you guys experience with situations like this?

Banned

If you know the crowd would like the original, and would like the electro track..... It's pretty clear that the remix was NOT in fact "sick". Bare in mind that people will say whatever you're doing is great any time they notice you doing anything at all. Hell... people cheer every time you move a filter knob. Part of it is just wanting people to know they noticed.

Tech Wizard

Its easy to over-perform for your crowd. I dont doubt that your live edit was dope (props for actually doing it live, not enough of that these days) but it may not have been the right place to play it. In my experience, people want predictability over novelty - especially when dealing with top 40. They dont want to have to pay attention to your music, even if its cool. They want to space out and dance-creep on girls.
    That was a discouraging lesson for me to learn! Especially when you've spent so much time and effort practicing and preparing to perform that live. My recommendation would be to find a gig at a Hookah Bar. Seriously! People sit around, smoking and socializing, and actually listen to your music. Its a great place to refine how you make your mark on your music.

+1 ^
    Depends on the club and the crowd that goes there. If they are there for Top 40, they want to hear what they know and have heard on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Bears'N'Backpacks View Post
    Its easy to over-perform for your crowd. I dont doubt that your live edit was dope (props for actually doing it live, not enough of that these days) but it may not have been the right place to play it. In my experience, people want predictability over novelty - especially when dealing with top 40. They dont want to have to pay attention to your music, even if its cool. They want to space out and dance-creep on girls.
    That was a discouraging lesson for me to learn! Especially when you've spent so much time and effort practicing and preparing to perform that live. My recommendation would be to find a gig at a Hookah Bar. Seriously! People sit around, smoking and socializing, and actually listen to your music. Its a great place to refine how you make your mark on your music.
    this times a 100. i play at a hookah bar fairly regularly and it is defo one of my favourite gigs
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Mentor

Replies 100% on the money, the amount of times I've seen great remixing die on the floor because the crowd want straight tracks is demoralising. It's a case of pick and choose your moments and reading the vibe better. They will come on the journey with you if you guide them gently, too much to soon gets them moaning.

Personally I'd rather play edits & mixes blended all night; "Got any Rihanna?....." sick of hearing that one, or even worse, "we just want some cheese". I hit rock bottom one night when a woman started shouting at me for not having Queen We are the Champions, she wasn't even that old.

Still it's my fault for playing house when the whole market is biased towards top 40. I've started knocking back gigs unless they are happy with my style upfront or at least set up an agreement on playlist with me before hand that we can both live with. OK, I'm playing out less but I feel more rewarded when people appreciate what I do. Lees quantity, more quality is my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bears'N'Backpacks View Post
    I want to hear more from this chap. Very well written!
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.