Doepfer Dark Energy II
    Tech Mentor

Default Doepfer Dark Energy II

I'm looking to buy my first hardware this christmas. Do you guys recommend it to a total hardware noob? I really like it's dark sounds, i think it's really suitable for techno-tech house stuff

Tech Wizard

DJTT is probably not the place to ask for synth/production advice its honestly pretty noobish. Gearslutz.com has a ton a synth comparisons from really experienced hardware guys and electronic musicians. The DE2 has few pseudo modules and limited cv in/out compability, and is only monophonic. if it was your only synth you would find yourself needing additional syths to complement it for things like chords, basses, and pads. Would it be your only synth? if so something like the DSI prohet might or sem might be a better choice.

Tech Mentor

Thank for the response yes I'm aware of that site I've checked some of the topics but maybe I can get a help from here also. I've checked the synth but it's way over my budget. I have a midi keyboard (lpk 25), planing to find something to use with it.

Tech Wizard

i just picked up a moog little phatty for 1000 shipped it has usb and cv in/outs. I wanted something that could create a variety of really fat bass sounds, thick leads, and expandable to other cv gear. Although my next hardware piece will probably be a DSI tetr4 for a polyphonic synth for chords and a different sound than moog.

You should consider a slim phatty because it can produce great bass, some interesting leads(spend time tweeking), usb/midi, and saveble patches. i have found them used for 600-650. i have heard the DE2 is lacking in the bass department and that would mean either using another piece of hardware or a soft synth to compliment it.
    Last edited by djkidmt; 12-06-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by djkidmt View Post
    DJTT is probably not the place to ask for synth/production advice its honestly pretty noobish.
    Speak for your self mate!

Seriously though, I'd look into the Minitaur first. It's pretty straight forward on the surface, and with the free editing software it comes with you can really dive in and grow with it. Plus it's roughly around the same price range.

Really think this would be a good starter piece of hardware for some one looking to dive into the analog realm, plus it's a Moog so it will maintain most of it's value and is just a quality product all around.

There's a large part of me that really wants a Minitaur. Keep in mind, though, that it's kind of exclusively for bass. IIRC, it doesn't output above C3.

Tech Wizard

Mostapha is right the minitaur will only do bass and maybe some mid lead sounds. It is probably the least versatile semi-modular synth out there. I really would not recommend it, unless all you need is bass. Once again the slim phatty is barely anymore more money (used) and is way more versatile.

Tech Mentor

I'd get the DE if you intend to go into eurorack modular even though the connectivity is not perfect, maybe check the Minibrute which is pretty cheap and should work very well with any modular synths you add to it (only problem is getting one atm).

The slim phatty would be decent as well and it's good for live use as you can store your patches.
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

Tech Mentor

I'm willing to get these types of sounds

bass sound @4:50