Xone 42 - 2 phono, what interface?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Question Xone 42 - 2 phono, what interface?

Hi guys,

Just about to pick up a Xone 42 after many weeks of drooling at the sight of the thing...

Coming from an S4, this will be my first analogue mixer, so I have some questions about the implications of it 'only' having 2 phono lines. What does this effectively restrict me to? at the moment I timecode on two 1210M3D vinyl decks, and don't have any foreseeable plans to add a third-deck (technique outta my skill-range) or CD-J's (expense and don't fancy the technology) in the future. However, there's always that slim possibility that I may add 2xCD-J's in the future, so...

With that said, I'm looking at getting an Audio 8 DJ rather than the smaller versions. I know this only takes 3 timecode inputs (right? please correct me if I'm wrong) but this would still be fine for me. However in light of the mixer only supporting 2 Phono, is there anything I should know? As you can probably tell, I'm not completely sure on the ins/outs and function of 2/4 Phonos.

Cheers!

CDJs are line level, so you don't need to worry about your mixer in that respect.

Audio 8's can handle 2 x Turntables without a preamp e.g. Technics 1200/1210 and 2 x CDJs (or other line level audio).
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

Thanks so much for clearing that up Makes more sense now! CD-J's don't use Phono - dooooh!

In terms of functionality/future-proof, what would I lose between the lower-end Audio cards (i.e. 4/6) and the larger 8/10 ones? Just seeing if it makes sense or is a waste of money to go for the 'more features' 8/10 card.

Tech Mentor

Midi in's/out's and spare channels.
    If you gotta choose between 4/8 or 6/10 then go for Audio 4 or 8.
    No need for power adapter and so on.

Tech Mentor

Am I right in thinking that the lower-end models will support 2x turntables and 1x CDJ on the master, and the larger ones will support full 4x input set-ups?

Only the A10 will support 4 x turntables.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...o-6/?page=1963 Scroll to the bottom for comparisons between A6 and A4.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...-10/?page=1967 And this one for the A10 and A8.

The setup examples on this page should help you understand better.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys - very helpful in explaining how it works. I appreciate it.

I think I'll go for an A4/A6, then... I doubt my needs will ever realistically stretch to an A8/A10. Even if I add a third/fourth deck, I doubt I'll really need 3/4 decks at once all on a DVS.

One more question about this mixer/sound set-up: the Xone 42 has a USB-PC out. The documentation says something about patching it to an output? What I'd like to be able to do, whilst I look for/save for Native Instruments card, is use the Xone 42 to drive my speakers and play out my ordinary PC audio. This works marvellously with the interface on my S4, obviously, and I was wondering if there's any way to achieve the same with the Xone 42? Or will I have to resort to using a basic RCA-splitter cable straight out of my PC's onboard sound? I.e. is there any way to channel my PC and its audio source through the Xone 42 and then out of the XLR main outs to my speakers?

Thanks so much!

I think you may as well get a 2nd hand A8, what have you got to lose? I just route a sample deck through the spare channel and I record into Traktor through the other.

For your other question, just plug the Xone into your PC, then go into sound settings in the control panel if you're a Windows user. Then in the playback tab just choose which output of the Xone you want to use.

Tech Mentor

Isn't using a channel to record/monitor kind of redundant, though? I thought the main reason the 42 even has a USB out in the first place was for direct-recording. Seems silly to get a soundcard (which I only want for standard 2-deck Scratch control) for recording and sample tabs. I could be wrong though! I have just sold an S4 to switch-up to this 42 set-up, though... and I'll be honest, I never used samples/loops etc. on the S4 in a year of having it. Pretty much only used it as a 2/3 channel standard mixer.

And ta, again Didn't realise it would be so simple. A relief! You've been very 'omni-' in this thread Ross - cheers pal!

Quote Originally Posted by afxz View Post
    Isn't using a channel to record/monitor kind of redundant, though? I thought the main reason the 42 even has a USB out in the first place was for direct-recording. Seems silly to get a soundcard (which I only want for standard 2-deck Scratch control) for recording and sample tabs. I could be wrong though! I have just sold an S4 to switch-up to this 42 set-up, though... and I'll be honest, I never used samples/loops etc. on the S4 in a year of having it. Pretty much only used it as a 2/3 channel standard mixer.

And ta, again Didn't realise it would be so simple. A relief! You've been very 'omni-' in this thread Ross - cheers pal!
    You don't use a channel of the mixer to record from, you use the rec out of the mixer and an input of your sound card to record to Traktor with.

Also, if you have a 4 channel mixer, you're going to want to be able to utilise all those channels if you want to. Because if not, you may as well get a really nice two channel mixer with a Traktor soundcard built in as the other two are just sat redundant...

No worries!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast