Making certain notes of a chord pop out
    Tech Guru

Default Making certain notes of a chord pop out

SOLVED: Polyphony!

I'm just getting into Ableton, and I'm trying to make a simple chord progression. I'm having trouble getting the high note of my chord coming out though.

I'm working in the key of D minor.
    mPfJW.jpg

My music theory is pretty rusty, but I believe my progression is:
    Dm - Eaug - Am - Cm

The problem is between the third and fourth chords. The prominent sound of the Am chord is the E while the prominent sound of the Cm chord is the C. I want it so that the prominent sound of the Cm chord is the G. I've turned down the velocity of the C and D# of the Cm chord to practically 0 and there's no difference.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by SlvrDragon50; 11-29-2012 at 08:20 PM.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

What plugin are you tying this to? not all plugins (internal or vst) have volume linked to velocity by default or it's turned off (ie: sampler)

Tech Guru

I'm using Sylenth1.

Edit: You're right. I just turned all the velocities down and it didn't do anything.

Tech Guru

Okay... new theory. Is it possible that the setup I have in my VST doesn't allow for chords?

I tried playing a simple tonic-supertonic chord and it sounded through when I picked a random synth in Ableton. In other synths, it would only play the tonic or the supertonic (or the other tone so soft that I could barely hear it).

Edit: And now that I hear my tones.. I noticed I had my chords way off... >.> I was wondering why the progression wasn't making any sense.

Final edit: FIGURED IT OUT. sort of. I turned off the mono legato. I fixed the 1-2 chord progression but the 3-4 is still off. It's just sounds like E playing for both chords.

FINAL FINAL EDIT: ALL SOLVEDDD Polyphony!
    Last edited by SlvrDragon50; 11-29-2012 at 06:05 PM.