HELP PLEASE! How to beatmatch X1 to previous DJ using CDJs?

Default HELP PLEASE! How to beatmatch X1 to previous DJ using CDJs?

hey guys -
    i am new to this forum but not particularly new to digital dj'ing.

i used to dj on ableton and have recently made the switch to traktor + x1.

my issue is that if there is a DJ who is playing on CDJs before me (not on traktor) I can't seem to mix in that well with my X1s.

i'm using the default native map. I'll set the bpm the same as the CDJs and do my best to catch the beat but its really a trial and error attempt as the pitch bend doesn't seem to work in my favor.

Any tips or tricks or am I completely missing something here?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Tech Mentor

Best advise you will ever be given - Use your ears and don't rely on the BPM displayed. Also, how are the X1's mapped? Is there some sort of pitch control? Sorry, never used these before.

Classic example of digital dj's not learning the basics.

jonham

Don't know if this is a general question or related to trying to mix into a specific track. If it's the ladder, it could be that one of the tracks isn't beat gridded properly. Just a thought. Can't see otherwise why you wouldn't be able to beatmatch.

Tech Convert

You can use the arrows above the waveform display on traktor to nudge your your track till its on beat. The arrows can be pressed with the mouse or mapped to the X's so you would have to touch the computer.
    Allen & Heath Xone DB4/2-Pioneer CDJ 2000's/Maschine/Audio 10/S4

On the default X1 mapping there are nudge/pitchbend buttons you can use. shift+the beatjump buttons = bend, it's not as ideal as a jogwheel but it's certainly usable. sounds like you should just practice.

manual beatmatching with buttons or a knob rather than a nice long throw pitch fader does take a bit of getting used to, IMO not ideal but doable in these situations

if its quantized electronic music then just dial in bpm from the cdj and try to hit cue on the one
    it may take a few attempts but with practice you should be able to get quite close off the first, then its just to set it playing and hit the nudge button a couple of times

if you don't have a bpm read out that can be a little harder, suggest to get to a clear bit of the beat or make a loop and keep spamming that cue button while going up or down in one direction with the tempo knob/buttons until the beats just start to click together. It really is needing to rely on your ability to hit that cue button on the one and for your ears to recognize the moment the beats start matching up

you can also try adjusting the speed of the tempo adjustments in the traktor mapping, when i'm in master tempo mode I have the two pitch knobs on my twitch set to difference adjustment granulaties, same with the x1 tempo buttons

It's just a matter of practicing and getting used to pitch bending with the buttons on the X1. Try and drop it on the 1 as best as you can, and then go from there. Beatgrids don't help in this situation because you're not beatmatching to a track that's playing within Traktor.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs