Half-done set-up...
    Tech Mentor

Cool Half-done set-up...

So for the last month I've totally switched up my DJ space from a Kontrol S4 with an M3D for vinyl listening and an extra control deck, to a full analogue set-up... I mainly wanted to experience the difference in sound and to 'go back to basics'. I've always been a bit of a record collector so this felt like the right step.

So this was my modest university based set-up. I didn't have much room, nor much money for gear/records. The S4 was great... but never quite enough. Even as a top-end controller, it never really escaped the plasticky- and gimmick-y feeling that I've always felt with controllers.

unisetup.jpg

So, this has then evolved - with the complete strip+servicing of an old deck, new carts, new cans, mats, minor replacements etc. - to this:

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I pretty much straight-swapped the S4 for the Xone 42 - which I absolutely love. No regrets on buying this mixer, it's gorgeous in every single way. I fitted an audiophile cable to the HD-25's and they really boom! Though it was a bit of an expensive indulgence, I must admit.

My set-up at the moment however is far from ideal...

image_1354053471146265.jpg

As you can see from this photo, the speakers need to be moved up to the IKEA shelving above. Unfortunately the max load weight on that free-standing shelf I got is pathetic, so I'm loading up a new set of shelves this weekend to get the speakers clear and set-up with a space/stage that they deserve to shine. Same with the monitor.

Still to purchase yet:

Replacement tone-arm on my M3D (bearings failing).
    Audio 8 interface to get it DVS ready.
    Kontrol X1 for extras, in-software effects, and easier transport controls.

Cheers, I'll keep you posted!
    Last edited by afxz; 11-30-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Tech Wizard

Looks great! Good luck on your future purchases. I'm sure it'll be lots of fun.

Great setup
    SoundCloud
    Mixcloud
    Progression on TFB-Radio
    Pioneer CDJ-100, Pioneer DJM-250, Technics RP-DH1200

once you get your X1 and Audio 8 you will love this setup all hands on, i dont even use much of all my laptop (have the A8, Xone 42, 2x 1200 MK5s)