Conflicted, looking for honest opinion!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Conflicted, looking for honest opinion!

Just stumbled across some cash. And was looking to upgrade any of my gear, and the first thing that came to mind was Mixed In Key. I need a program that can analyze my tracks and what not, I feel like it would be much more helpful with live mixes. Having the accessibility to mix in key, instead of me going by ear. Or should I get a midi fighter? or some other controller that I can use for beat mashing. Thanks you guys

zygote

Tech Wizard

I bought mixed in key and its nice. I reccomend it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rukkus View Post
    I bought mixed in key and its nice. I reccomend it.
    Thanks man, I'm really considering it. Does it help you with more flow with in your mixes?

Tech Wizard

I was a bit skeptical when I first bought MIK, but have been really impressed with it after using it to prep a couple of mixes.

i've been using mik for about a year now and it's something i would recommend pretty highly. you always have to let your ears be the final judge which it sounds like you do anyhow. also, don't be afraid to go outside of the camelot system if you don't have a lot of "proper" choices based on mik. it is very handy if you have a lot of music like me so selections can be narrowed down, and it gives me a better idea of how the flow of a set can work.

i don't think you will be disappointed. oh, and btw there was a free key tagging software that was being promoted on here that people seem to like a lot as well but i can't remember the name. may want to search for that. one of the mods really likes it...photojojo or jester, i can't remember who. if you get that one, then you can still buy gear too!

edit: ah here was the thread:

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=37799

direct link to software: http://ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/

and it was jester!
    Last edited by squidot; 12-08-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

MIK doesnt mix for you but it really does make just organizing your library much easier.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    i've been using mik for about a year now and it's something i would recommend pretty highly. you always have to let your ears be the final judge which it sounds like you do anyhow. also, don't be afraid to go outside of the camelot system if you don't have a lot of "proper" choices based on mik. it is very handy if you have a lot of music like me so selections can be narrowed down, and it gives me a better idea of how the flow of a set can work.

i don't think you will be disappointed. oh, and btw there was a free key tagging software that was being promoted on here that people seem to like a lot as well but i can't remember the name. may want to search for that. one of the mods really likes it...photojojo or jester, i can't remember who. if you get that one, then you can still buy gear too!

edit: ah here was the thread:

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=37799

direct link to software: http://ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/

and it was jester!
    Hey thanks for the feed back man. From the looks of It I may be purchasing this lol I only hear good things from people about MIK. And another positive thing, if I buy things it can open up a new window for mixing possibilities right? Being able to harmonically match songs will be pretty sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote View Post
    Hey thanks for the feed back man. From the looks of It I may be purchasing this lol I only hear good things from people about MIK. And another positive thing, if I buy things it can open up a new window for mixing possibilities right? Being able to harmonically match songs will be pretty sick.
    I don't really think its going to open new windows as much as it will make decisions in a large library quicker and easier. You should be harmonically mixing now, only by ear. I mixed without it for the majority of my time djing and my mixes were still in key, I just had to do it with my ears alone.

You'll probably get some negative feedback on key tagging software on here as some people think its a crutch that limits you too much. I tend to disagree but at the same time I don't put all my faith in mik either. instead, I use it as another tool before it hits my ears.

I will say that I did an entire hour long session without cueing any tracks in headphones. I picked only compatible songs per mik tags, my notes and energy levels and I didn't have one dissonant mix. It actually worked quite well for the most part.
    Last edited by squidot; 12-08-2012 at 03:37 AM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

If you've got extra cash, spend it on good tunes or a piece of gear that you know you'll use. While I don't doubt the ability of MIK, I 'll say it's totally unnecessary. People have been mixing sonically in key for decades without it. If you "need" it to mix, then maybe DJing is not for you. Just sayin'.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    If you've got extra cash, spend it on good tunes or a piece of gear that you know you'll use. While I don't doubt the ability of MIK, I 'll say it's totally unnecessary. People have been mixing sonically in key for decades without it. If you "need" it to mix, then maybe DJing is not for you. Just sayin'.
    Agreed.

I think it actually limits you, because you're looking for a matching key, rather than a matching track...
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast