The Digital Switch Over.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Default The Digital Switch Over.

Those of you lucky enough to recieve DJ Promos from promotion companies will no doubt have noticed that more and more are being sent via MP3 service or direct downloads from the Promo Website.

Announced today by one of the UK biggest INDIE music promo companies is to phase out physical Promos altogether (CD and 12/7").

The company in question is part of a larger group that are the UKs biggest DJ/Club/Radio Promo company.

Everyone whos ever received a promo (esp your first) will know that warm feeling of getting that rare White label but no more.

Of course theres always gonna be white labels pressed up but this could mean so few that DJs just dont get a look in.

Is MP3/AAC/WMA really about to become the only format ?

In my case i get a bunch of stuff each week but all i do is rip them and stick them in a box in the cellar so i suppose it makes things easier.
    But not getting that Limited Edition one sided etched 10" will be sorely missed by record collectors like me...

I've never experienced this, and probably never will (from what you're saying ) but I can definitely see the sadness in it. But I suppose practicality moved with technology - and for the whole industry this'll be so much easier...

Also, as Richie Hawtin was saying in an interview the other day, the industry's far more accessible now than it ever used to be - and with beatport etc, secret records are a thing of the past - so surely this is a good thing all in all, because although the DJ who previously managed to be different by using unheard promos will lose out on their exclusivity, it will mean everyone will have to be more creative to be successful and stand out... is that not a really good thing? Competition in any industry is a great thing. (you just have to look at the awesome advances in DJ technology competition brings between SSL and TPro)

But it is sad that this'll disappear... I inherited some white labels from a DJ mate of mine, and they do have something special about them.

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    it will mean everyone will have to be more creative to be successful and stand out... is that not a really good thing?
    Yaaaaah here here +1 an all that
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

This has been a long time coming. Eventually vinyl will only be sold to collectors, vinyl DJs will almost exclusively be spinning "virtual vinyl" and there won't be CDs to speak of. *shrug* It's the logical progression, though not necessarily a bad thing.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I think it's a pretty good thing - but then i'm talking from the perspective of a 17 year old who came into the industry when Traktor and the virtual laptop world was beginning to be in full swing. So I have a totally different outlook from someone who has used Vinyl and CD when it was the newest technology going.

The fact that Grandmaster Flash has taken on TSP is pretty refreshing, since he was the pioneer of Vinyl... If he's embracing it - then it must be a pretty good thing!

Hey Karlos, remember, there are people in this world now that might never own a CD, or even know what vinyl records are... you're just old
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

No Fair

Ive totally embrace the digital revolution. In fact id hate to go back to carting records around.

I must say a well packaged vinyl album is beautiful thing.
    Anyone who has Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi on vinyl will know what im saying. The forth side of the double album has awesome etching.

Its also nice when you find out the some bloody Arctic Monkeys promo you have is going for £300 on eBay. Any takers ?

I completely agree with you. Good packaging can't carry over to the digital revolution *shrug* But it's cheaper and easier and no one wants to spend money, heh
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

mm.. a nicely formatted mp3 with full ID3 tags..

just doesn't compare.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Hah spot on mate.

Ooh Traktor Propriety Tags are just much more interesting than this:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast