How to Route the S4 to speakers. (directly)

Default How to Route the S4 to speakers. (directly)

Hey DJ Techtools Forum,

Last night was my buddy and I's first real live performance. It was a school dance for about three and a half hours. While setting up we realized that the original plan we had for the main out did not work, but we were able to use two 1/4 inch cables going from the main out on the S4 to another mixer with the two 3-Pin XLR's running into that and out to the speakers.

The music was loud enough (these were 12,13, and 14 year olds), but definitely could have been louder. We want to have the main out on the S4 feed directly to speakers, via an adapter or such. If anything thing comes to mind that would make this work we would be happy to hear it! Any other suggestions are appreciated as well!

Thank you,
    Marty

What connection do your speakers use? 1/4 TRS or XLR? You can just buy cables that have the right connections.

Tech Mentor

All DJ's using their own gear should have the following in their DJ bag:

RCA Cables
    1/4" cables (if your mixer or controller has 1/4" ouputs
    XLR cables (if your mixer has XLR outputs)
    1/4" to XLR adapters

You shouldn't lose any output by going through an additional mixer... if anything it should increase.

If you need more volume, you probably need more speakers.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    What connection do your speakers use? 1/4 TRS or XLR? You can just buy cables that have the right connections.
    The speakers have an XLR, both female and male inputs and outputs. Ill look into cables. Thanks!

Monoprice.com is a good place for inexpensive cables. They have 1/4 TRS to XLR cables in different lengths.

god i hope those were powered speakers lol
    jjust didnt say it in the text above

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    god i hope those were powered speakers lol
    jjust didnt say it in the text above

LOL ya.

i've had problems with RCA out to 1/4inch input in the past with different mixers and shit. I just run 1/4inch to 1/4inch on the 8channel mixer, OR i have ALSO done the 1/4inch to XLR left and the same for the right straight into the speakers.

if you are using sub, run your LEFT and RIGHT into the inputs on the sub, and then run your highpass (or whatever your outputs are) to the speakers last. not sure what you're setup is...