How to store new old vinyl? (e.g. thrift store LPs)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How to store new old vinyl? (e.g. thrift store LPs)

SO I recently started collecting vinyl, and have been surprising myself because I go by album cover instead of beatport charts - different genres, of course, whatever is $1 at my local church thrift.

Not complaining, got a playable copy of Elvis's Christmas Album for 50c today... (stray cats, nat king cole, crystal gale, etc) BUT they're, you know, nasty. I cleaned the vinyl before playing them, but I hate putting them back in the nasty sleeves and jackets - I know there are sleeves on amazon (clear, paper, or paper with plastic lining) as well as outer sleeves to put the whole jacket in, but I can't find replacement blank jackets (for if I want to put all the nasty cardboard into storage for the next poor soul who owns this collection)

SO

Do you vinyl guys just hack and cough? I have asthma and don't want a stack of naked vinyl on my desk, so how do you guys do it? Just keep them in paper sleeves? Or is there a good way (a la Jewel CD Cases in bulk, etc)

Thanks for any tips!
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

How messed up are these records man? Haha. They all covered in dust and stuff?

I guess it would depend just how messed up they are, but I always prefer to keep my records in their original sleeves if possible. If I had to replace the sleeves (and I would still keep the old ones), then I'd just buy some replacement blank sleeves off eBay. But when you buy old records you expect the sleeves to be beaten up sometimes. It's the "asthma" comment that has me wondering though....

Don't store your records laying down in a pile BTW, cos that can cause them to warp.

you can get some sleeves from amazon or ebay in bulk you can also make your own out of carboard or thin baking sheets

Tech Mentor

Thanks, guys - I know to store them vertically, thinking of getting an IKEA Expidit unit, those seem about sized for LPs...

And yeah, some of these covers are totally open on the top or bottom, some are missing corners, and even the good ones, I can taste the mildew and/or mold, and I have bad asthma, so there's that. I'll keep the covers, of course, not burning them, just would rather them not be by my desk where I spend all my time.

I checked Amazon, btw, and they have sleeves, but I didn't know if it's legit to keep them in just sleeves without jackets, and I found a couple vinyl specialty sites that sell blank jackets but they seem $1ea+ up to like $2.50ea (depending on how many...)

Also, I know some DJs write notes on the covers - do they get blank white jackets, or are they just sleeves that they write on, and don't use jackets when playing sets?
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

its like a cd... as long as the surface with the data is protected you are good

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    its like a cd... as long as the surface with the data is protected you are good
    of course, physical media, I just don't have the experience that many of you probably do with this medium, so I'm asking from your experience (combined), will my modest collection be safe in paper/poly sleeves with no jackets in crate style storage? (I mean either stacked on a shelf like books or possibly in a literal milk crate type container).

I just realized that this is also an issue with records that come sans jacket in the first place - either the original was too gross, or lost, or it was a promo that wasn't jacketed... Been seeing such records around, but I didn't know how I would store them.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

i thinking basic sleeves is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LmnLm3 View Post
    of course, physical media, I just don't have the experience that many of you probably do with this medium, so I'm asking from your experience (combined), will my modest collection be safe in paper/poly sleeves with no jackets in crate style storage? (I mean either stacked on a shelf like books or possibly in a literal milk crate type container).

I just realized that this is also an issue with records that come sans jacket in the first place - either the original was too gross, or lost, or it was a promo that wasn't jacketed... Been seeing such records around, but I didn't know how I would store them.

the first thing to do is to give the records a good cleaning. After that shake out the sleeve and cover. Buy new paper inner sleeves they are cheap. Only store them vertically.

When I played solely vinyl my issue was putting the right record back in the right sleeve.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    the first thing to do is to give the records a good cleaning. After that shake out the sleeve and cover. Buy new paper inner sleeves they are cheap. Only store them vertically.

When I played solely vinyl my issue was putting the right record back in the right sleeve.
    i know right? i tried digging back through my records a couple days ago (i hadn't touched em in a couple years) and every time i'd pull out a record sleeve the wrong one was inside! i don't know how i got so sloppy...

i'm ashamed

Tech Mentor

Haha - so you guys went sans jackets and just used blank sleeves when moving about and it's safe enough? And do the paper ones make any dust? Are the paper lined with plastic types worth the extra $$?

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast