LPD8 or MPD18

Thread: LPD8 or MPD18

Tech Wizard

Default LPD8 or MPD18

Hey guys. I've been using a Numark Mixtrack Pro for a controller along with Virtual DJ software. I want to incorporate more and more effects into my sets but I'm not exactly sure what to get. I'm considering these two Akai products. Comments? Thanks!

You are talking honda vs porche. Mpd18 over the lpd8, the pads are better.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Do you need velocity sensitivity or do you just need buttons?

Given the really cheap prices on the LPD, I'd go for that just because it is so much more a stable unit.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...pad-controller
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Wizard

@boaderbas did you mean to post a shopping link for the MPD18 after suggesting the LPD8? For me the 8 is cool bc its smaller. I have to fly with my gear next Thursday so that is a consideration. I am more using this for just buttons actually, bc i want it for effects right now but ill be beat sampling later. I can get an MPD18 (missing fader knob tho) and an Akai mini keyboard for $100 total locally, both used. Or new LPD8 for $50, or new $MPD18 for $72. I'm flying next Thursday, I wanna buy something today. thanks!

Sorry, meant to write MPD.

The LPD8 has a bit of a "chocolate bar" build form whereas the MPD is more like a real sturdy controller.

Velocity sensitivity is actually quite nice for effects. For instance mapping the velocity to the intensity of the effect (for instance a reverb) or even the timing (flanger). I think that second hand price is quite steep!

But if portability is an issue, go for the LPD8 (or similar kit, you may concider vestax or Korg too)

Have you looked at the MPK mini?
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Get a used MPD, should be cheaper than a new LPD and is going to feel a *lot* better.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

the thing is if you are just doing effects and what not then the lpd8 will work fine. I have used it for cuing one-shots. Plus it has 8 q-link knobs along with it. But if you are going to be druming I would stick to the mpd18.

Tech Mentor

Lpd8 all the way.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

for drumming/cue-juggle/etc., go for the MPD18, as for the effects, Im guessing the veolicty sensitive pads can handle the D/W controls. I would say go for LDP8 if its just for additional controller for FX because of the knobs