Boarderbas's setup history - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I've been searching for a tape measure to make a drawing...
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

dj_booth.jpg

Done!

Just the basic dimensions. You can cut away stuff to accomodate gear/lighting/electric installation etc. You need to make a lid of some sort on the top side, buy that's gear dependant, so I didn't bother to sketch mine.

Default Boarderbas's setup history

***updated, see bottom of this post***

As I enjoy reading other people's evolving setups. I decided to browse some old HDD's for my setup history.

First, let's cover the "why".

My brother and his friend used the basement of my dad's office for spinning trance vinyl on gemini stuff. I was still listening to Nirvana and had NO interest in trance whatsoever.

I went to Berlin for a boy's weekend out with my friends. One night got completely out of hand. I enden up in the infamoust "Maria am ostbahnhof" club at the centannial party of the "shitzkatapult" label. I am fairy certain somebody drugged me and I woke up enlightened to the minimal techno Nirwana.

After that I got into the Dn'B scene and listened to mostly underground and experimental electronic music every weekend. Started to go to psytrance festivals etc.

Then my study days were over, got a job, moved back to my home town, where I had loads of time on my hands. My brother went on a world trip and I promised im to entertain his friend whom he used to DJ with. He persuaded me to buy some stuff as well.

I allready knew I wanted to go digital, but decided beatmatching skills were the first step, so...

I bought two SL1210mkII's in mint condition with ortofon concordes for way to little money, exploiting one very hung over seller, who started to grasp how low a bid he agreed on right about the moment I walked out of his appartment.
    Pulled a similar trick on somebody selling the (legendary in NL) Dateq XTC mixer.

I stacked 6 still full moving boxes and got me a DJ booth. I have no pictures of it in full, but I made a picture of one of my homebuilt longboards on top of it.

Bought a crate of 100 very mediocre techno vinyl and learned to beatmatch and mix.

I designed a DJ booth and by some bizarre devine way, just before going to te other sode of the Netherlands I found a second hand add of somebody who had build exactly what I wanted, had exacly the same gear and lived in the town I was just going to drive to. So I came home with a DJ booth.

I never intended to become a vinyl based DJ, so after I was satisfied with my skills and had some money I decided I needed a XONE:3D. I had no clue what it did exactly, but saw some people doing stuff and having setups that I liked. So after a few weeks of hunting the secondhand pages it was there. Shortly after I moved to my GF's appartment.

So there the 3D was. Tried to marry it to my Vista laptop but failed. Partly due to my inexperience and partly because of the 3D drivers I did not manage to get it to work. I used it as a mixer for more than half a year as I was traveling a lot for my work and did not have the time to tend to it. Then I decided it was time to either make it work or sell it. I installed xp on my mini 12 inch centrino laptop and got it to work finally!

Built my own (awesome) map. Then the sample decks and sampler came to traktor and decided I needed more buttons, so I used the 3D's gameport connection to make a seperate controller for master gain and sampler:

After learning to work with the 3D, the lack of onboard soundcard channels started to annoy me. It has only 3 stereo digital channels. Also the Early versions of the 3D had the pots and encoders way to close to eachother, so I sold the 3D for a good sum and then bought an abused 4D for about the same. The 4D was cleaned and caressed to mint condition again.

So I bought a house, did a full rebuild of it and my GF offered me the use of the full attick for making a man-cave. Needless to say the booth ended up in the living room.

Repainted it and there it sits:

(more info in this thread http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=46807)
    My ultimate goal was to get into music production, so taking baby steps, I bought a Maschine.

It sat on top of the sl1200 decksavers for a while. It needed a stand. Christmas holidays gave me the time to make it. I wanted it half hovering over the right turntable.

I wanted it as low as possible, but that would not let me take of the TT dustcap, so I made it hinge (sorry, crap photo)

Next step was to make a second laptop stand...and get better pictures.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boarderbas; 02-03-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Wicked, I want my decks setup behind the tv like that, play cool visuals when having a party :-)
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Cool history, thanks for sharing step by step details, always fun and educating to read how people got into it all and how it all progressed. Cheers, man!

Tech Wizard

Some insight on that homemade controller would be interesting.
    d{-.-}b

Look in the 4D user manual. It provides a wiring scheme. It's just a standard joystick port functionality to accomodate 4 buttons and 4 pots.

The thing I really like about the 4D is that it does not imply a workflow. It provides you with a selection of buttons, faders and knobs, footswitch control, more connectivity than you can ever need (even more if you are willing to open it up and replace some jumper settings, which they actually encourage in their manual!) and these seemingly useless things like a game port, which is just there planted as a little seed to spark creativity. You can hook up any analog controller up to it and it works. No driver, no soldering, no setting up. Genius.

It will not likely be outdated by software soon. There IS no software. It's equally happy in controlling Reason as it is controlling Traktor. It just sends midi, and it does it really well.

Tech Wizard

Cool! Thanks.
    d{-.-}b

Updated, see opening post!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Love the little MIDI thing standing on xone deck saver

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast