Boarderbas's setup history - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thx. It's an easy thing to do. Actually there's nothing Midi about it. Just switches and pots.

Updated the post a bit removing typo's
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Wizard

What did you use as its "brain"? LeoBodnar's circuit boards?
    d{-.-}b

No brain needed, read the thread. The 4D has a joystick expansion port which allows you to directly connect 4 pots (2 joysticks x/y) and four buttons (joystick jump/fire). See attachment.

As far as I can tell, more elaborate joystick controllers use the Midi-in functionality of the gameport. The 4D only supports Midi-out.

The boards of Leo Bodnar are all USB. This is just a classic gameport like the one you'll find on 80's PC.

I do have some plans for a more elaborate controller. Using the 4 button signals as a 4-bit digital readout, up to 16 buttons are possible. The mapping required puts me off a little. I rather spend my time mixing.

I do not gig a lot, but whenever I do, the people running the gig love it as it controls my master volume. They just like the idea of being able to change the volume without bothering me mixing. Never happened they really did, they just like the idea.
    Last edited by tekki; 01-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Tech Wizard

Well, I'm a 90's kid so IDK what a gameport is . Cool gadget nontheless!
    d{-.-}b

Netjes hoor!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Looks great, man! I tried the upper deck down as low as possible but kept rapping my knuckles on cuing, etc. I'm assuming you use the jogs on the mixer for that? I ask because I'm in the abyss of setup indecision...

I've to yet extensively test it, but all seems ok. I do not use the jogs for scratching or beatmatching.

I've made the stand approx 10 cm higher. Temporarely fixed it and looked at my workflow on both Maschine and TT's. Lowered it 3cm and repeated the process.

Finallydecided on the height. Then discovered it was too low for the decksavers, so I cut the chamfer on the profiles.

As for the Maschine positioning I am really, really happy. You should come and see!

And I should make better pics. It's so much nicer as it looks right now.

@Tekki; Tja, dat moet wel, anders krijg ik moppers van de vrouw!
    Last edited by boarderbas; 01-24-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Hahaha, so recognizable!

That's why I am soooo glad with my mancave in the attic.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

[family guy talk] Well I choose to have it in the livingroom. My GF watches soaps and knits while I jam with my headphones on. I'm not the guy to lock itself in its attick while the family is downstairs [/family guy talk]

The key to having it accepted was to buy my GF some records and give her her own section in the record holders below. Believe me when I say it hurts a bit when your professional DJ stuff, painstakingly layed out to drop the sickest beats is used to play ABBA or Grease, but its worth it!

**updated the opening post**

Added a second laptop stand, made some better pictures!

@ Mods: Can you remove the idiotic attachment thumbnails on the bottom of the OP? The attachments are long gone...
    Last edited by boarderbas; 02-03-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast