DJ-ing is Hard - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DJ-ing is Hard

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    How long did it take you at that rate? I think everyone has their difficulties at all different stages. I'm just starting and even with sync, when I use songs I actually listen to it isn't easy yet. I can't wait for the day I can mix with ease without using sync.
    if you want that day to come really soon... stop using SYNC right now.
    Work as if it doesnt exist.

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    if you want that day to come really soon... stop using SYNC right now.
    Work as if it doesnt exist.
    Yes...and no...

I think if you buy alot of tracks in the same style around the same BPMs then sync is pretty much irrelevant...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    How long did it take you at that rate? I think everyone has their difficulties at all different stages. I'm just starting and even with sync, when I use songs I actually listen to it isn't easy yet. I can't wait for the day I can mix with ease without using sync.
    Djing for two years. been producing for 3 years
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    Yes...and no...

I think if you buy alot of tracks in the same style around the same BPMs then sync is pretty much irrelevant...
    i was going to say something like that but i realized he would just be limiting himself.
    If you only work with a small scale of tools that all look pretty much the same,
    you really arent pushing youself to learn (what do i do if X doesnt match Y )

wouldnt you say?

@ OP if you spend 20-30 mins practising a single transition then beat juggling and effect mashing should be a lot further down your list.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

I'd say that out of all forms of art that I know of, DJing is the easiest. Production is hard. Breakdancing is hard. Painting is hard. Deaf people can DJ like in that new commercial out now. As long as you have a good opinion on music and can count to 4 then you can DJ. If DJing is hard then maybe you should do more listening and less DJing. Maybe your opinion on music is not that good. Just a theory though. It's not that hard to DJ.

Maybe structuring your practice for a bit is in order.

If you have an hour to play, spend the first 20 minutes beat matching no sync and concentrate on intro outro mixes where the phrasing is going to carry the mix because of the last song is dropping down while the new track is building up, go thru the breakdown and the rest of it. Use the time in other parts of the tracks to get new tracks tempo correct, pay attention to cues for a new phrase, drum roll, pauses, a change in the synth. Find tracks that you want to practice with repeatedly and build a play list for this section of your practice, don't be afraid to skip back and do it again if you make an error.

The next 20 minutes drop new tracks that you aren't as familiar with, don't build a play list, play the next track you want to hear, dig deep into collection for somethings you may not have played in a bit too. Use sync if you want, but pay attention to phrasing cues and make sure that phrases are properly lined up. Experiment with EQ, the filter, looping to eliminate break downs and work on finding interesting ways to blend the tracks.

The next 20 minutes play with cue point juggling and effects. Find the spot to build a routine, then in a later practice session practice putting it into the second portion of your practice in a way that makes sense. It is tough to build a strong routine, even tougher to get it to where you can integrate it to your set, and you will likely be sick of hearing it by the time that it is flawless. Routines really are a ton of fun to make evolve. The one in my practice right now is working Stairway to Heaven into dnb, it has been evolving for over a couple of weeks and I think I'm going to change the way I'm doing it drastically over the weekend to make it even tighter for the tempo changes.

Most of all have fun! If you are really killing it at beat matching keep it going that day, if you are getting frustrated move on to the next part of practicing. Don't beat your self up if you aren't getting something right away.

Tech Guru

i remember when i started out 13 years ago, i pretty much lived on my decks, all time not spent at school or college was spent mixing...i dont really practice anymore, i just do it. sometimes though i'll experiment with fx etc...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Macom
    I'd say that out of all forms of art that I know of, DJing is the easiest. Production is hard. Breakdancing is hard. Painting is hard. Deaf people can DJ like in that new commercial out now. As long as you have a good opinion on music and can count to 4 then you can DJ. If DJing is hard then maybe you should do more listening and less DJing. Maybe your opinion on music is not that good. Just a theory though. It's not that hard to DJ.
    Your opinion of what DJ'ing is is VERY different to mine, mate. I doubt very much that your mixes would hold much interest form me if counting to 4 is your only criteria for mixing.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Your opinion of what DJ'ing is is VERY different to mine, mate. I doubt very much that your mixes would hold much interest form me if counting to 4 is your only criteria for mixing.

back in 1988 counting to 4 was about the only "syncing" we had (no beatcounters or other tools) ... nothing much as changed since that, all the rest is gloss.

The basics of mixing are still

(1) count the beats of the track playing, (we used to tap a foot or hit our chest)
    (2) adjust the speed of the incoming track to match,
    (3) count to 4 with the first track, (emphasis on the 1 for EDM, on the 2 for R&B)

(4) drop the new track in (hopefully very close to the beat),
    (5) finely adjust tempo to match

and raise the fader ...

the basics haven't changed and it's not rocket science or hard to mix, putting together an interesting collection of songs is far more challenging.
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast