DJ-ing is Hard - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DJ-ing is Hard

I always thought of it this way:

It's as hard as you want it to be.

You can DJ on various levels IMO

You can just "DJ" at a party with itunes but have killer song selection. (before you hate, I was not this guy tho)
    All the way up to scratch routines and live performance.

But what 's important throughout your journey is that is stays hard, it's a sign that you keep improving yourself and you keep pushing boundaries and keep learning.

And btw what in life is actually easy ? Some stuff is just hard, just deal with it.

Tech Convert

Default DJ-ing is as hard as the standards you set for yourself

I'm not a DJ but surely the hard part is crowd reading and track selection.

Beat matching and smooth transitions are now automated so if you already know how to do it, why not allow it to be automated ... and get back to planning the pace for the next few tracks ... yeah ?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aegersz View Post
    I'm not a DJ but surely the hard part is crowd reading and track selection.

Beat matching and smooth transitions are now automated so if you already know how to do it, why not allow it to be automated ... and get back to planning the pace for the next few tracks ... yeah ?
    Beat matching is, smooth transitioning isn't. Unless we have different definitions of smooth.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Beat matching is, smooth transitioning isn't. Unless we have different definitions of smooth.
    I was referring to the QUANTISE working with AUTO CRUISE but I would prefer to do it manually if I were a DJ. Track transitioning is, to me, the hardest manual operation.

The problem I see is that I'm so much more about dancing to the music and the two are mutually exclusive directions. I'd be too nervous anyway.

But my respect goes out to all real DJ's for many reasons.

DJ'ing isn't hard if you already have a passion for it. Some things can be frustrating to get, but as long as you have a genuine passion, practice should never feel like "practice". I've been DJ'ing for 5 years and started on CDJs and slowly transitioned to vinyl. The CDJs were 800MK1s with an erratic bpm counter, and of course there is no BPM reading with vinyl. I haven't had the luxury of using a sync button and I wouldn't want to because I feel it is more rewarding being able to beatmatch on my own. Definetely try beatmatching without syncing or relying on the BPM readout while you practice. At least you know you can fall back on your own skills if the syncing option isn't available.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I was referring to the QUANTISE working with AUTO CRUISE but I would prefer to do it manually if I were a DJ. Track transitioning is, to me, the hardest manual operation.
    There is a lot more to make a smooth transition, such as EQing, a simple X seconds crossfade won't do.

Tech Guru

The *mechanics* of DJing are not all that difficult to master....but it does take time and deliberate practice. And even after you are "comfortable" with the skills...there is still a tremendous amount to learn. It's a bit like touch typing, or juggling, or chopping an onion, or any other fine motor skill. The mechanical skills take practice to "get", and practice to maintain. BUT...that's the "entry level" skills.

Understanding music theory. Training your ear to hear musical structure on the fly. You overall knowledge of the music you choose to play with. Your taste in music. Those skills take longer to develop and typically lag the mechanical skills by a LOT.

Then there is "running a small business" skills....which is about 80% of what I "do" that makes me successful as a DJ. "They" (??) once said that if your business deals with the public, has employees, and carries inventory....then about 80% of what you do will be "in common" with every other business that meets those criteria.

My mobile DJ business has a LOT in common with the hair stylist who I use. We both deal with the public. Our clients have strong ideas, not all of which are good for them. We have to actively market and promote our businesses, and engage in sales activities. We are each selling our time...and when the day is gone, so is the inventory of that time. We have a "large" investment in tools and infrastructure....but the real investment is in the "soft skills". The sense of style and good taste, and the skills, knowledge, experience, and ability to apply that sense of style to each individual client in a way that makes them feel special.

Being a successful DJ has as much to do with pushing the buttons as being a successful chef has to do with knowing how to turn on the oven.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Is there a point being made in this thread? Don't really understand what the OP is trying to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLinez View Post
    It's all about playing good tracks, that's it.
    100% Disagree on this.

Tech Wizard

The problem I see is that I'm so much more about dancing to the music and the two are mutually exclusive directions. I'd be too nervous anyway.

But my respect goes out to all real DJ's for many reasons.
    How the hell did you end up on this site? Your 2 posts are 2 of the dumbest things I've read here.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast