DJ-ing is Hard
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DJ-ing is Hard

Default DJ-ing is Hard

Simple.

It can be fcking hard and annoying. I hope I am not the only one. Spending 20-30 Mins working on single track transitions, practicing beat juggling and effect mashing to then when it counts mess up.

Remember it is hard, anyone can sync and go but not everyone can mix and go.

Xian.

ps.

I think mixing is easy but putting together a show that the audience likes is hard, sync or no sync.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

The more you know your songs, the easier it gets. Sometimes when I'm unsure though, I'll create a 16 or 32 count loop where I want to introduce the track and then all I have to do is decide where and how I want to transition.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Guru

Its a whole lot harder then most people think it is, but all in all, it's not really that hard.

just need to find what works for you. It took me a year to get some kind of technique together enough to make me comfortable to make a full 60 mins
    Man i remember the day i first mixed two tracks together..... like a virgin lol and it was some cheesy radio play stuff.

xian how long you been at this now?

It takes several years to become a good, well-rounded DJ IMO. People often underestimate just how long it takes.

It's even worse with scratching. I remember telling a guy on DJ Forums that unless he was a very gifted natural, it would probably take him 3-5 years to get to an intermediate stage and he thought I was taking the piss.

Depends on how much you practice. I practice every night for an hour and i can mix 3-4 deck tech house/techno easily
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Wizard

It's all about playing good tracks, that's it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    Depends on how much you practice. I practice every night for an hour and i can mix 3-4 deck tech house/techno easily
    How long did it take you at that rate? I think everyone has their difficulties at all different stages. I'm just starting and even with sync, when I use songs I actually listen to it isn't easy yet. I can't wait for the day I can mix with ease without using sync.
    Lenovo T400, Ableton Live 8, Axiom 25, APC40, Auido 2, KRK Rokit 6, Pioneer HJD1500 and a wish list spanning coast to coast.

Nothing is hard once you know how to do it, some people are going to have different backgrounds that will help them with learning something quicker/easier, I've just started out with the whole DJ side of things, me and a friend have started doing it for fun. I have a background in music (piano & drums for the last 15-20 years) and he played guitar for about 2 years when he was 13-14, I've taken to beat-matching a lot easier than what he has, it's taking time for him to be able to count whilst also micro managing everything else that is going on.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast