Akai LPD 8 Midi is Same on Pads and Knobs

Default Akai LPD 8 Midi is Same on Pads and Knobs

I am going nuts.

Trying to program a simple map for the Akai LPD8 for Traktor.

It seems the 8 pads and the 8 knobs send the same midi data on the same channel.

so pad 1 and knob 1 are interfering with each other etc.

I downloaded and installed the Akai editor program but either a)it's not working or B)I'm dumb

I just need the 16 controllers to each have it's own thing.

Anyone have any experience with this thing?

BTW. I downloaded an existing user map online and it's also messing up.

Thanks.

akai_lpd_8.jpg

Yes, It's a super little unit. The prog that comes with it can be used edit the MIDI channels / CC/Note with. I have used one of these with Traktor Pro 2, with MIDI send/return working no probs without much effort.
    On the AKAI control panel, Make sure you set a different CC/Note for each pad/knob. MIDI channel won't matter, but it's nice to be sure, and I changed mine to a channel, that no other connected MIDI device used. The MIDI in/out config on Traktor will be set to the LPD8. The commands can be 'learned' when you apply the commands to Traktor mapping.
    For the buttons, it won't matter if it's HOLD or TOGGLE on the unit's control panel. Again, this can be changed within the Traktor settings. Probably best to keep them all the same (for me I kept em at HOLD), then there's less messing when it comes to mapping.
    If you have any issues getting the midi program edited, shout and I'll try to get ya sorted, skype and I'll talk you through it if necessary. The existing map ain't going to work, because it's going to depend on the way the unit is set up on the originators machine, especially if your midi is sending the same command on pad 1 / knob 1. This unit's MIDI function is fully customisable via the Akai prog that comes with it.
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 02-15-2016 at 04:56 AM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

You should also learn to post i correct sub-forums dude. Not everything goes in to General Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    You should also learn to post i correct sub-forums dude. Not everything goes in to General Discussion.
    Still waiting for the Traktor sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    Yes, It's a super little unit. The prog that comes with it can be used edit the MIDI channels / CC/Note with. I have used one of these with Traktor Pro 2, with MIDI send/return working no probs without much effort.
    On the AKAI control panel, Make sure you set a different CC/Note for each pad/knob. MIDI channel won't matter, but it's nice to be sure, and I changed mine to a channel, that no other connected MIDI device used. The MIDI in/out config on Traktor will be set to the LPD8. The commands can be 'learned' when you apply the commands to Traktor mapping.
    For the buttons, it won't matter if it's HOLD or TOGGLE on the unit's control panel. Again, this can be changed within the Traktor settings. Probably best to keep them all the same (for me I kept em at HOLD), then there's less messing when it comes to mapping.
    If you have any issues getting the midi program edited, shout and I'll try to get ya sorted, skype and I'll talk you through it if necessary. The existing map ain't going to work, because it's going to depend on the way the unit is set up on the originators machine, especially if your midi is sending the same command on pad 1 / knob 1. This unit's MIDI function is fully customisable via the Akai prog that comes with it.
    It says I have to close Traktor in order for the LPD 8 software to work correctly.

Gonna try that tonight

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Still waiting for the Traktor sub-forum
    Your question is mapping related and we already have a place for that.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    It says I have to close Traktor in order for the LPD 8 software to work correctly.

Gonna try that tonight
    On Windows, the MIDI port can't be shared between applications. That's why they are advising you to close program one before using the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    On Windows, the MIDI port can't be shared between applications. That's why they are advising you to close program one before using the other.
    This is bang on, you need to save the config to the device (which is accessed also on the akai editor - 4 save slots) close the Akai prog, before trying to do anything with Traktor.

Good luck with that.. you'll hardly need it, you'll probably find it's not too difficult if you understand mapping.
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 02-15-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

yep that was it. I can't have Traktor running at the same time.

So the answer was B) I am dumb

thanks.

But seriously. Why is there a sub-forum for Ableton, Serato, etc. but none for Traktor?