Shure M44-7H vs Ortofon Nightclub Concorde - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    sarasin are those the pink ones? I have a pair of those that I bought years ago. They sound fantastic but they definitely cause more record wear than the shures. I noticed it immediately when back cueing and scratching with a really old (and thin) record; even a couple times back and forth with the stylus and I noticed more pops and fuzz. So keep an eye on things if you make that your standard cart.

(Oh yeah I should add that mine were not Concorde style, if it makes a difference)
    Yep, the pink ones.

I don't use regular vinyl, just Timecode however. Also don't actually play out with the Timecodes unless doing a show, so they dont get used daily or even weekly.

Just the odd bit of scratching as a 3rd deck.

So they good for me I rate, but good advice and knowledge there for those using regular vinyls etc.

I will only use the Scratch for scratching tho. Playing normally I will prolly use the Electro's.

Will keep my eye on em tho!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Well with timecode it's probably a non-issue; I'm pretty sure the software can pick up the timecode signal even with significant record wear.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

I disagree, respectfully. Timecode is rather fussy about its signal. While audio quality of the cartridge (bass heavy, etc) is of no consequence, it is important that the smpte get through as clean as possible, if you want it to track tightly.

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    I disagree, respectfully. Timecode is rather fussy about its signal. While audio quality of the cartridge (bass heavy, etc) is of no consequence, it is important that the smpte get through as clean as possible, if you want it to track tightly.
    Interesting - I honestly haven't noticed this, but I generally replace time code records well before they're all worn out. It would be hard to tell unless you were specifically tracking down an error I suppose.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Yeah, I have 2 pairs of TC, which I rotate often.

My biggest issue is dirt and dust.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Scope is getting a little fuzzy and warbled on my mk1 records, but TSP's still happy enough with that it keeps on tracking fine - meter is still all the way up. Scratches though, not so much. That's my only issue with these ! (my records are some of the cleanest I've seen in a booth)
    That's using CC PRO (grey). I also play straight vinyl, if anything else at all these days and the cue burn, while a reality, is not prominent since I don't dig it in like some do when cueing, setup the tonearm just right (TT health providing) and clean everything very frequently.
    Just got some fresh CC Elektro needles that I put on them and the high end is a bit clearer - there is very little difference between a purchased WAV and a fresh vinyl copy of the same tune, less so than with the PRO needles. I like my high-end to be clean and audible if I can have it and the run-of-the-mill Shure feel a little muffled to me for that.

Tech Mentor

Yep, the 44-7 is absolutely bass-heavy for analog playback. Mine only see timecodes.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    If you want an affordable cart just for *listening* to vinyl (or for archiving it) I'd recommend the Shure M97xe. It's got a built in brush which is nice for the dust issue, and it does a much better job than the M44-7s or the Ortofons in terms of reproducing sound as neutrally as possible, without boosting the bass or making everything louder. But you don't want to be back-cueing or scratching with that needle. I picked up mine for about $45 off amazon but I think they're more expensive now.
    On a related topic, I'm looking to buy a single cartridge/stylus purely for recording records in high quality sound. This would not be used for DJing so I wouldn't be cueing up a track or having the tonearm weighed down heavy (which I don't do anyway as it's unnecessary in a home environment). I would use be using this on a good condition 1200, and recording it into an amplifier or Hi-FI separate CD recorder deck rather than into a computer. This is a PC free set-up.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to archive all my records, and also because I want to sample records so I can use them in my own productions (after all, why go through a computer file of 1000's of snares and kicks when I can just sample that epic drum sound in that white label that I've had for years. That's how it was done in the past and it appeals to me.

So... with all these considerations, is it possible to buy this type of cartridge/stylus which also has a built in headshell, as I have tried to attach cartridges to the technics headshell before and gave it up after an hour as too complicated.

The reason I'm asking all this is because if you look at the stylus retailers online they make little effort to explain what differentiates one brand from another.

Edit: Not sure if this is relevant but most of the records I will be sampling will be 80's-90's House, 90's jungle, Dubstep- ie. intricate drum patterns with swing and often bass heavy production, rather than trance or pop music.
    Last edited by DJ Millenium Falcon; 01-26-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123