Anyone using Ortofon OM DJ S cart with scratch pro?
    Tech Mentor

Default Anyone using Ortofon OM DJ S cart with scratch pro?

I've finally bitten the bullet and bought a Z2. I'm still primarily a vinyl DJ (probably 80/20 vinyl/digital) so have been using the Technics with the OM DJ S cart and stylus, but with the Z2 and scratch pro i was wondering if these have the signal strength to get a decent timecode signal. I think the output is about 6mv compared to 11 for things like the qbert and shures. But i really want a cart that is primarily focused on the audio quality. i dont scratch, so done need that type of stylus, but noticed that most of the high output cart/stylii are of the scratch type.

So, if anyone either uses, or has access to the OM DJ s and can test it for me before I get the Z2 if its not too hot I can get an order in for something else ASAP - maybe the groovemaster as this seems to work pretty well from research i've seen.

Cheers in advance.

Add : I should say that i dont like the sound of the M44-7 or the qberts as they seem too harsh to me (the qbert too middy, the M44-7 too bassy/muddy) I'd rather having something *pure* sounding

For what it's worth, the output level on my PRO (both in OM and banana formats) is 1mv below the DJ S and both og/mk2 timecode vinyl track with no problems despite the very low reading on the meter! In fact the OMs I had at first were quite battered and the signal was even weaker and it still worked just as good then.
    Bumping the input gain a few dB upwards in the NI control panel wouldn't hurt, if that's possible on the Z2.
    I've only used the blue DJ S at gigs, so I can't comment on a precise difference with the PRO which I find plenty appropriate enough, only that I can't tell them apart when playing at my mate who has one of each.
    Definitely enough highs, specifically compared to M44s.

Ortofon series IMHO (for DJ'ing) : Q-Bert > Scratch > Night Club S > Blue S > Black
    Ortofon series IMHO (sound quality only): Arkiv > the rest

Tech Mentor

Well it seems that the OM DJ S is also pretty good. I'm getting a very good clean signal with timecode (see my other *daft* post re calibration). So i'm going to stick with these for now. Cheers.

The DJS will be fine. I've used my Pro S with Traktor Scratch and never had any issues. If you're looking to upgrade, the Concorde Digitrack or Serato S-120 (comes in OM or Concorde) are made for DVS use. If you're going to be using real vinyl & DVS, the Serato would be the best choice.

This site has a pretty good rundown of Ortofon DJ carts - http://www.henley-pro.co.uk/ortofon/product-catalogue

I was using Ortofon OM Pro S's and never had a problem. Sounded awesome.
    Traktor S4 | Midifighter Classic | 2x CDJ 2000| Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 | Ableton Live 8 | 2012 Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB | Krk RP5

Tech Mentor

After I had my TT's serviced a and re-calibrated I decided to treat them to a pair of matched Ortofon Nightclub II's (concord style) - beautiful sound and VERY clean with Traktor scratch. Also, no problem so far with any skipping during backcueing etc (but I'm in no way a *scratch* DJ) - but I do spend a bit of time getting the carts set up right and checked them with the tech who did the rebuild to get them spot on. The bloke who did the rebuild has his main job setting up high end sound systems and he was VERY impressed with the clarity and tone.