Buying 'broken' Kontrol S4 to Repair, difficult?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Buying 'broken' Kontrol S4 to Repair, difficult?

I'm seeing some relatively cheap S4s and other controllers and whatnot go for pretty cheap on eBay with the caveat of being broken or not known to be working.

Currently looking at an S4 that doesn't have its lights turn on.

Has anyone done their own hardware repair such as soldering and whatnot and can tell me what I'm getting myself into? I'm relatively capable with a soldering iron so I'm not worried about that. More worried about finding out parts cost way more than just buying used controllers that do work.

I realize this is hard without knowing what part is actual broken, but any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Most probably the USB-B port has died.

This can be solved within 10 seconds with my ninja mod, or you can take the S4 apart and solder in a new USB- B connector.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

I think I read your USB-B port mod tekki.

For the most part though, I can order typical components and won't be screwed by marked up OEM costs?

I think so.

Just know that if you're going to replace the USB-B connector by yourself, you will be voiding any warranty left on the S4.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tech Guru

Cool!

Well I just asked the seller and he told me that the only testing done was plugging in the power cord, no USB. The controller should have turned on without the USB shouldn't it?

EUhm... haven't ever tested that tbh...

If I was you, I'd check if an elephant has stepped on it.

'Cos if it has - a simple USB fix MIGHT not work...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Haha, no worries. Don't see why anyone would but from my digging, it appears that you should still have lights turn on when you turn on the S4 with just AC power.

Maybe they were just using the wrong power supply :/ I don't wanna end up with a 200+ dollar paper weight haha

Patch: My thoughts exactly. I'm trying to get pictures from this guy.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    The controller should have turned on without the USB shouldn't it?
    It should do the boot animation and then have the warning sign left on or blinking.

Tech Guru

Thanks! I'm assuming with the wrong power supply though nothing would happen.

I don't even know why I want an S4 so badly. It just looks so much cooler than my APC40 haha. I regret not bidding on the S4 that went for 230 bucks last week.

Guess I'll just have to pry more information out of this guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast