Your DJing stories. Post them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your DJing stories. Post them

Tell me about a horror story, or your epic tale of victory.

Tech Guru

I pissed in a anti-freeze looking bottle one time, and someone from the club came up to the booth grabbed it by mistake and poured it into the fog machine

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I pissed in a anti-freeze looking bottle one time, and someone from the club came up to the booth grabbed it by mistake and poured it into the fog machine

dear god that's a good one! don't think anything can top that one. might as well just close this puppy down.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

That is beyond epic!! Hahahahahah. What happened!?

I've seen people's laptops freeze half way through a set and no back up.. Silence for 5 minutes while they re-booted! Because they had never used CDJ's in their life and were clueless as to how they even worked.
    http://soundcloud.com/squirec Mixes mainly containing funky/disco/chicago/swing house. Although, there's always room for a little something different.
    Equipment: 15" Macbook Pro (Mid 2012), Traktor Pro 2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk2 x 2, Pioneer DJM 700, Sennheiser HD25 Mk2 headphones.

Tech Mentor

the OWNER of the club was supposed to turn on the room for us. 30 minutes after set was supposed to start, she's still prancing around in her high heels not really caring that there's no music going on in her club flipping random buttons. i finally get fed up and ask her to take me to the sound booth and she says all the stuff she's supposed to flip has been...flipped. 2 seconds looking at it, i notice all the amps are off so i flip em on while she kind of glares at me like im going to blow something up and bam, we have sound. owner walks away without a ty or any sort of appreciation. you're welcome for saving your club night. learn to use your equipment please.

Not much horror stories but a positive that will always stay in my mind -

Playing a "DJ Hero" contest and i was on last right before Andy Duguid in front of a 800 strong packed club. It was a great feeling, got offered a residency 2 days later and i've been there almost 3 years now.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I was a lighting Jock in a rather large superclub and I grabbed a bottle of fog fluid, poured it into the machine and we ended up needing to evacuate the club for 2 hours.

Some A$$h0l3 DJ who was playing the night before decided he couldn't make it to the toilet on time and pissed in a fog fluid bottle!!!

I get the feeling this happens more often than we'd care to believe.

My worst DJing experience was at The Medicine Bar in Birmingham, the day after Boxing Day a few years ago. I was supposed to be DJing for what I thought was a private party.

I took my own gear and when I was setting it up, the club manager came over to ask if everything was OK and he said that he would be leaving soon. Everything was fine at that point, but I noticed that there was no security. A bit later, I found out that the organiser of the party had lied about it being a private party and that he'd actually been advertising it to the general public and handing out fliers.

Everything started off just fine. There were 4 other DJs playing that night, 2 of which were friends of mine that had travelled there with me. 1 other guy that I didn't know was DJing with 2 iPods, lol.

Between 10 and 11, the place got utterly rammed with people. This wasn't a problem at first, except a bunch of people started coming up on the stage. With it being Christmas, some of them had clearly been drinking all day as they were hammered. I had people trying to go through my record boxes, guys messing with my DJ gear, people asking me for mics - the stage was so packed full of people I could barely move and it was quite intimidating, but there was nobody there to stop them. I was dying to go for a piss, but I daren't leave the stage in case someone made off with my stuff while I was gone. My 2 mates said they were going to go outside as they couldn't take it any more, so they disappeared.

I was getting increasingly frustrated, but the final straw was when a guy leaned over my decks and his body pressed down on the record and caused the needle to skid across it, and one of the feet on my decks (PDX-2000) snapped. At that point, I was ready to kill someone, but I was just one guy surrounded by a big mob of people so I thought "fuck this! I'm off" and started packing up my gear. When the music went off, the guy with the iPods came up and started playing some music on those. I tried calling my mates' phones to see if they would come and help me carry my stuff, but they obviously didn't hear them ringing, so I walked through this massive crowd carrying two decks in flight cases, a mixer in a bag, 2 big record boxes and another bag with headphones and stuff in it. Thankfully nobody hassled me as I was on my way out, cos with all the stress and carrying all this stuff, I honestly felt like I was gonna have a heart attack, lol, and I was still dying for a piss.

The next day I spoke to another friend of mine that stayed after I left. He said that the 2 iPods that the one DJ was using were stolen and that a big fight had later kicked off between 2 groups of lads and several police cars/vans turned up. I'm glad I left when I did.

It's an example of how no security at a gig can turn a potentially awesome night into a disaster. Had there been someone stopping people getting up on to the stage area, it would have been fine, at least from my perspective.

The biggest disaster I've had was ages ago - I was playing a bar in Leeds and the set up was real cramped - just space for the tables and mixer.
    I took over from the guy before and mixed the first track in (Prodigy - Your Love - yes that long ago).
    The headphone cable was pretty short so I put them gently on the mixer to get my next track, but I flicked the Phono/Line switch by accident.
    No music, confused dj, shouting/laughing crowd, red face.
    It only took me about 30 seconds to realise what I'd done but it felt like 30 years.

Moral of the story - keep your cans round your neck
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast