Is a Traktor card necessary for DVS?
    Tech Wizard

Default Is a Traktor card necessary for DVS?

Hi everyone,

This question is twofold. One: do I need a Traktor audio card (like an Audio 10) for DVS control if I have a USB mixer such as a Pioneer 900, Denon 1700, A&H XoneB4, whatever? Or can Traktor receive timecode input from the audio interface in the mixer?

Two: Supposing I'm using CDJ-900s or 2000s which have HID support, can I set my audio device to whatever I want and still have scratch control? When using an aggregate audio device to route audio from my DAW to Traktor, I found that while I could still get input from my timecode vinyl, I couldn't use it for timecode control.

Thanks!

1. You can only use the mixer's built in audio interface if it's traktor certified. There's a full list on the NI website but it includes the Pioneer DJM-900, Denon DNX-1600 and others. If it's not certified, you need to use the NI interface.

2. No, you can't use an aggregated audio device for timecode. If you use JUST the CDJs you can use them in HID mode without needing even a scratch licence let alone an NI interface, but if you want to use vinyl timecode you ALWAYS have to use your NI interface by itself, unaggregated.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

If you use a certified mixer, timecode will work without the NI interface. I have a Denon X1600 and the DVS is flawless. I highly recommend that mixer if you're in the market for one... the build quality is superb and it sounds great. You will however, need Traktor Scratch Pro. The timecode will not work with just your standard Traktor 2 (it's ridiculous, I know).

If you're using CDJ's in HID mode you don't need an NI box, it will work as is.

Tech Wizard

Cool, thanks both of you! For the record, I know I can't use DVS with an aggregate device. Like I said, I experienced that myself. I Was talking about HID CDJs. Glad I have that answer now!

Also, yeah, the Denon 1600 and 1700 are two mixers I'm considering very heavily. It's between those two and an Ecler Evo 4 right now. The 1700 is a bit out of my price range.

Tech Wizard

can't recommend the 1600 enough. I was looking at the Evo 4 as well when I was making my mixer purchase but the Denon was cheaper. I was able to find a warehouse selling one near where i lived and offered straight cash. Got it for 825