Marketing a name?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Marketing a name?

So I've been djing for around a year now playing house parties for friends and in my bedroom, putting in the hours and gaining a solid skill set from my cdjs and am now looking to preform with ableton. I'm looking to get a little more serious into the business and will start marketing myself soon. My question is- how do I do this effectively? I'm planning on printing business cards and have an active mixcloud account. Also I need a name. Current ideas are Jake Basic, Alpha Decay, or Forbes Method. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone.

I googled "Forbes Method" and the first result was "Teens Create A Way To Use Urine As Fuel- Forbes."

Tech Wizard

hahaha such a good reason for that choice.

honestly, if you are serious about this, i would suggest taking the time to study a bit about marketing
    read blogs on marketing tips
    and when i say READ them, i mean exactly that,
    i dont mean skim them
    i dont mean pick up on key words or familiar phrases and terms.
    i mean REALLY dig into marketing techniques, for specific products ( music, audio, production, djs )

then, i would SERIOUSLY employ you to spend a little time getting to know a few promoters in the music industry local to yourself.

Once you get a really good rapport with them, youll understand the thinking that goes into a good marketing tactic.
    Youll have a better idea of what should work effectively
    Youll know what to do when something you are trying isnt quite working the way it should.

Im not trying to say "Here, take this long road because i dont want to give you the, easy answer"
    Its because, the method is NEVER the same twice.

Its really dependent on the individual.

Im speaking from years of experience.

The first thing i was successful at (aside from being my mothers cute little pumpkin)
    was the launch and management of a nightclubbing information website.

PS.... i know i am a cute little pumpkin, because my mother SAID SO!!!

Tech Wizard

thanks for the good advise.

Have a five year plan, not a five week one.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Guru

Is there really any more to it than sending mixes out, getting to know promoters from being in the scene and getting your name out and therefore gigs that way? Or even starting your own night.
    If you want better bookings and to headline smaller nights then the obvious way is to be producing and more importantly getting tracks out on decent labels. Pretty much every small/medium size night has DJ's headlining with labels next to their names.

@KS2
    We have to take into account, that if thats all there was to it
    and it was that simple, then everyone would have a night
    no one would have an issue getting a gig,
    and there would be a HELL of a lot more big named djs who live on your block, no?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    @KS2
    We have to take into account, that if thats all there was to it
    and it was that simple, then everyone would have a night
    no one would have an issue getting a gig,
    and there would be a HELL of a lot more big named djs who live on your block, no?
    Not really because most don't produce or at least not to a good enough level.
    I can see where marketing comes in for your own night, of course though. And it's definitely one of the best ways to do it and to get your name next to big DJ's which is obviously going to help.

If you just want to get gigs locally it's about being in the scene, in my opinion. Then getting your name out that way.
    If you aren't in the scene 1. It's a bit odd and 2. It's not that hard to start getting into it and chatting to people.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the good advise guys, its good to be part of a forum with so many people that are proactive in the business. Any thoughts on a decent name? I have a few listed but they're pretty tentative lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast