HELP: New VCI-400 EGE. Crackling Sound - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Yup! Green bars even through the crackling and noise.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by B-Naut View Post
    OK...Time for me to add my list of glitches to this post.

I also have a new VCI-400...not the Ean Golden Edition, just the regular version. My CPU load in Traktor is in the red. Playback bogs down, clicks, and crackles if I activate the '1' and/or '2' for the Effects on any channel. I even used the "Windows Optimizing Power Script" to lighten the CPU load. Even that didn't help.

What do I do?
    What buffer usb streaming mode / buffer size settings?

A computer with core I3 and integrated graphics meets the minimum requirements but is not a high spec'd machine. I'm not sure how much it would help but try disabling multi core support in audio preferences. Increasing the buffer size should also help.
    Last edited by Funky B; 12-28-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Vestax VCI-400SE EGE | Pioneer DDJ-SX | Numark NS7 | Novation Twitch | Traktor Scratch Pro | Serato DJ | Dj Player iOS | Mixvibes CrossDJ iOS

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jpegged View Post
    Yup! Green bars even through the crackling and noise.
    Computer specs?

And this happens after immediately plugging in the vci-400?? Is this before you load a deck - maybe it's a ground loop problem with your equipment (but that would be more of a hum than a crackle).

Green bars means your system is setup correctly....

Don't disable ahci - it won't help you. And there's no need for alternate graphics card drivers is you don't show latency issues.

Try uninstalling the Vestax driver - reboot - re-install the driver. Also try disabling multi core support.
    Last edited by Funky B; 12-28-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Vestax VCI-400SE EGE | Pioneer DDJ-SX | Numark NS7 | Novation Twitch | Traktor Scratch Pro | Serato DJ | Dj Player iOS | Mixvibes CrossDJ iOS

Tech Wizard

Also try switching USB ports.

Lightbulb

Problem solved. I spoke directly with Vestax tech support. I was missing the Vestax Audio Control Panel, therefore, I hadn't done the firmware upgrade. The firmware upgrade was the key to my issue.

According to Vestax tech support,
    "The original firmware that comes with the VCI-400 is built for Traktor version 1.__. When the firmware is upgraded, it syncs better with Traktor 2 and will drop the CPU load very noticeably."
    This had nothing to do with my BIOS, USB, or my processor. (Although if you read the fine print on Vestax's Troubleshooting manual, Vestax VCI-400s do not support computers using an AMD processor. Not my case, but I thought that may be useful to some others here.)

Here are the steps I did:
    • Download and install the Vestax Control Panel here
    • Replace the original ASIO drivers with the updated version (UNINSTALL the original ASIO drivers first - DO NOT be lazy and overwrite the old ASIO with the new)
    • Use the Vestax Audio Control Panel to update the firmware.
    • Restart Windows. Restart the VCI-400. Restart Traktor.
    • Load the updated official .tsi file from the Vestax website into Traktor. (optional)

Like magic, my CPU load is now 1/3 of what it was before the updates and upgrades. My playback is smooth and no longer bogs down when I activate other functions like the effects.

Now if you will excuse me a moment, I have a DJ battle to prep for. Later, y'all.
    --DJ B-Naut || Atlanta, GA
    Electro House || Mashups || VJ

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

Tech Wizard

Awesome!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Funky B View Post
    Computer specs?

And this happens after immediately plugging in the vci-400?? Is this before you load a deck - maybe it's a ground loop problem with your equipment (but that would be more of a hum than a crackle).

Green bars means your system is setup correctly....

Don't disable ahci - it won't help you. And there's no need for alternate graphics card drivers is you don't show latency issues.

Try uninstalling the Vestax driver - reboot - re-install the driver. Also try disabling multi core support.
    I've got a high-spec laptop, running an i7. My laptop should be overkill for this...

The crackling happens immediately once i turn on my unit.

USB Streaming Mode: Safe
    ASIO Buffer Size: 2048 samples.

I'll try out your suggestions and i'll update this thread once i get done with it.

Tech Convert

Also try switching USB ports.
    No dice. Nothing worked =/ Perhaps it isn't a latency issue?

Tech Wizard

Correct, green bars indicate no latency issue. It's either the driver or hardware - did you unistall the driver, reboot then re-install the driver? You can also troubleshoot hardware issues by installing and testing the vci-400 on another computer.

Tech Convert

Correct, green bars indicate no latency issue. It's either the driver or hardware - did you unistall the driver, reboot then re-install the driver? You can also troubleshoot hardware issues by installing and testing the vci-400 on another computer.
    Yeah, I tried doing and it didn't work. I'll try it on another computer, and i'll let you know how that works out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast