HELP: New VCI-400 EGE. Crackling Sound
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default HELP: New VCI-400 EGE. Crackling Sound

Having quite an issue here. Plugged in the controller, installed the drivers, and set up Traktor. Immediately after plugging in my monitor speakers into the Master Outputs, I get this distorted, crackling noise. So far, the EGE is functioning just fine. It's just the damn crackling and popping noise

I'm using Traktor Pro 2.6 with the latest VCI-400 driver 1.52.On the Vestax Driver Control Panel, i'm using Low Latency on the USB Streaming Mode and my Buffer Size is at 1024 samples.

On Traktor, sample rate is set at 44100Hz. My latency is at 48.4ms.

I've also got the VCI-400 soundcard selected.

Any help is appreciated!! I'm a moron when it comes to audio engineering, so I hope someone can lead me in the right direction.

Tech Wizard

same thing when using the "safe" usb mode in the vestax control panel?

Have you looked at latency settings?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Convert

It's the same on Safe mode.

I've tried different latency settings on the Vestax Control Panel, but no option clears up the sound.

Tech Wizard

On the NI website there is a Knowledgebase with some valuable Tips how to tweak the System (depending on OS of course)
    http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/
    In my case it turned out CPU Load issues as well as audio crackles were caused by a "problematic" graphics card driver.
    In that context: Can you run everything smoothly with onboard sound (or an other audo card?) If this is the case it should have less to do with the VCI...

Tech Wizard

First, I claim no responsibility for what happens to your computer. If you want to follow these steps please make a backup. These steps are to be used when you know for sure it's the computer because you've tested your gear on another computer. These suggestions are for severe issues, try the OS tweaks Rudi-J listed above for CPU overload issues.

1. Switch USB ports
    2. Make sure your bios firmware is up to date (check manufacture's page). If you have heavy distortion from the onset this will probably fix your issues.
    3. Make sure your all of your drivers are up to date. As rudi-j posted above, start with the graphics card (audio dropouts are common with poor graphics card drivers). Make sure you update everything - a list of drivers should be on your computer manufacturer's support page.
    4. Download dpc latency tester and start disabling drivers to find the culprit (instructions on website). If you disable something you weren't supposed to bad things may happen but a resart / re-enable will probable recover most issues. You won't be able to disable the graphics driver but you may find something else.
    5. Pull the battery and try to use the computer without it. Power mgmt in windows sucks and can cause latency. The only work-a-round I'm aware of is to use the computer plugged in without the battery or only the battery- not both (or buy a Mac)
    6. With all drivers up to date try alternative graphics card drivers for nvidia cards from laptopvideo2go.com (some of these drivers are not supported so the potential for bad things happening has now increased) at this point you should have found the issue.
    7. Disable AHCI in bios. Chances are if you do this you will need to reinstall the os and everything else. You will also lose the ablilty to hot swap drives and ncq. Only do this as a last resort, but ahci is known to cause latency.
    Last edited by Funky B; 12-28-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi-J View Post
    On the NI website there is a Knowledgebase with some valuable Tips how to tweak the System (depending on OS of course)
    http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/
    In my case it turned out CPU Load issues as well as audio crackles were caused by a "problematic" graphics card driver.
    In that context: Can you run everything smoothly with onboard sound (or an other audo card?) If this is the case it should have less to do with the VCI...
    Updated the drivers, no go.

Everything else runs perfectly with onboard sound.
    Last edited by jpegged; 12-18-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Tech Convert

UPDATE: BIOS firmware update isn't available online.

Traktor 2.6, I've noticed after an hour or so mixing, begins skipping some tracks.

I'll try downloading some latency management programs and see how that goes...

UPDATE: My readings on dpc latency checker are fine...all below yellow,and I've got green bars all throughout mixing.
    Last edited by jpegged; 12-25-2012 at 03:06 AM.

OK...Time for me to add my list of glitches to this post.

I also have a new VCI-400...not the Ean Golden Edition, just the regular version. My CPU load in Traktor is in the red. Playback bogs down, clicks, and crackles if I activate the '1' and/or '2' for the Effects on any channel. I even used the "Windows Optimizing Power Script" to lighten the CPU load. Even that didn't help.

What do I do?
    --DJ B-Naut || Atlanta, GA
    Electro House || Mashups || VJ

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jpegged View Post
    UPDATE: BIOS firmware update isn't available online.

Traktor 2.6, I've noticed after an hour or so mixing, begins skipping some tracks.

I'll try downloading some latency management programs and see how that goes...

UPDATE: My readings on dpc latency checker are fine...all below yellow,and I've got green bars all throughout mixing.
    When the crackling starts does dpc latency checker stay out of the red?
    Vestax VCI-400SE EGE | Pioneer DDJ-SX | Numark NS7 | Novation Twitch | Traktor Scratch Pro | Serato DJ | Dj Player iOS | Mixvibes CrossDJ iOS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast