Mixer Comparison: Denon DN-X1500S and DJM-700/800/850
    Tech Wizard

Default Mixer Comparison: Denon DN-X1500S and DJM-700/800/850

I own a Denon DN-X1500S. I know it's an old mixer, but it kicks out 24bit sound with editable EQ frequencies and curves (Q). Essentially, I can set it up (EQ-wise) similar to any DJM or even a Xone mixer.

My question is: Are there any good reasons to save up for, say, a DJM-700, 800, or 850? Like I said, I think the sound is top notch and the editable EQs are a great touch on my mixer.

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks!

By the way, I play mainly progressive house/trance. Effects aren't really a concern, but are a nice addition. I'm thinking more about adaptability to the "club standard"

The 850 is just an upgraded version of the 800 with 2 new effects and it's traktor scratch certified but no x-pad included.

So if you have already a soundcard, you will be happy enough with the 800. If not, the 850 is a perfect solution
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Tech Guru

850 sounds a whole lot better then then the 800. It's basically a somewhat stripped 900, but it also has some features that the 900 doesnt

Looked at the Denon X-1600?
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Tech Wizard

I have looked at the Denon DN-X1600. It appeals to me A LOT. I guess I'm curious if people who have tried the Denon and Pioneer mixers can chime in about if any one is particularly better.

I enjoy the effects on the Pioneer mixers more, but I've heard sound quality is better on the Denons (apparently under the same parent company as Allen & Heath). My priorities are price, sound quality, effects, and input matrix (only on the Denon). I don't need a Traktor soundcard since I use CDJ-850s as aggregate sound devices.

Anyways, mainly fishing for opinions. Like I said, I know the DN-X1500S is an old mixer, but it's surprisingly well-built and sounds good (the effects kinda suck, though)

Tech Wizard

So...how do they compare to the Denon line? I'm debating whether it's worth dropping a minimum of $800 to 'upgrade' to either of the DJM mixers mentioned.

Tech Mentor

The Denon 1600 and DJM 700 and above are miles better than a Denon 1500, I had a 1500 for about 3/4 year before upgrading to a 1600 a year or so ago, maybe longer.

Its so dated now sound quality is still good but not as good as newer mixers, the faders feel like sh*t on a 1500 swell, also your cue buttons will stop working as mine did

Try before you buy if you can but through experience I think you'l agree that any of the mixers you have said will be a big improvement!

I had this same issue last week and I ended up with the Denon. Mainly because of the input matrix and the built in sound card, but also because it just "felt better" when I played with them both in the shops. I also didn't think the DJM 700 was much of an improvement featurewise (note I said features, not quality before I get roasted) over my DDM4000, and that most of it's price tag would have been because of the Pioneer label.

The other factors for the Denon choice was the tension adjustable crossfader (which scratches like a dream) and the fact that the MIDI implentation is amazing (look up AGIPRODJ on Youtube).

However, to provide a balanced opinion, I preferred the effects on my DDM4000 over both the Denon and the Pioneer 700.

I'd just spent most of my money on a pair of CDJ's but if my budget was bigger I might have looked at a better Pioneer mixer, such as the 900/2000 Nexus.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just re-read your first post, the Denon X-1600 provide editable X-over frequencies for EQ also.
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    The djm850 has those beat color effects but I think thats about the only 'extra' it has.. .
    It has Up echo, might be some other stuff....

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    Looked at the Denon X-1600?
    Seriously - I think everything else eqates to significant diminishing returns. If you think the X1500 sounds good... just wait. Then there's the faders on the 1600... easily the finest I've used at any price. The ONLY thing I'd consider over my 1600 is a DB4.