How to make a good Tech house song on Ableton [Tips]

Question How to make a good Tech house song on Ableton [Tips]

Hello everyone , I would like to create Tech house song with Ableton and massive but i have some trouble to know how the Tech house is structured and how i can make chord ans bass on massive ..
    So if you can help me ..
    D.Julius

Tech Wizard

I don't know much about tech house, but the beat of the genre depends on the use of percussion elements. The hihats, shakers, rim shots, etc. need to be played in a nice groove on top a regular "4 on the floor" pattern. Remember to make the percussions lively. The bass is also groovy. Usually it would be a a synth with a sine wave with something layered with it. Massive is flexible in making such basses so you are at an advantage. In tech house, there would usually be a sample of another song being implemented in the beat. It could be a vocal sample or a full bar of instruments. Similar to french house, but more minimal. I just said the basics, but what you add is up to you. It can be a a deadmau5 chord where the synth is is filtered with an envelope on it having a low decay and a low release compensating the decay. Any synth can fit. Remember to keep it simple though. Tech house, in my observation, repeats its verse after a build up. It can have variation on its drums or add elements later through the song. Song structure depends on what you want. If I made any mistake, please correct me on how to make a tech house song. My favorite tech house song is Mike Newman & The Viron - Lady (Crazibiza Remix). Hope I was any help

Thanks you ! I'm going to practice with your tips .

Tech Mentor

As the name suggests, Tech House is a genre somewhere between Techno and House (and Blank Keys, no offense, but your favorite tech house song is pretty far from that...).

It basically keeps the rhythmic patterns of house, but in a slightly reduced form. The syncopated, "funky" patterns are still recognisable, but not that obvious, and the rhythm often has more of that "straight ahead" feel of techno.

Opposite of what Blank Keys wrote, sampling other pieces of music isn't the norm in tech house. There are some tracks with samples, but many rely completely on drums and synth. If there are samples, they often are rather unobtrusive, e.g. just one word that gets repeated rhythmically.

Tech house often incorporates elements from techno, like dark, stabby synths, etc.

The best way to find out how exactly tracks from a genre are made is to listen to a lot of them.. Some artists to explore would be e.g. Loco Dice, Steve Lawler, Shlomi Aber, etc. as well as labels like Desolat, 100% Pure, Rejected, etc.

Tech Wizard

Yeah I knew I was off, but at least i got the "minimalistic, but funky" part right. I apologize for misleading people ;/

Tech Mentor

You shall be forgiven :P

Thank you TCmuc I'm decided to work on this to create a Live set with my Electribe . I have lot of sample ( One Shot for the drums ) and I have find one things to make good Syncopated Drums : Put Rim ( of cr78 ) once every two HitHat . It's sound like :" Tchi Tcha Tchi Tcha " . So thank you for yours Tips !

PS: Sorry if my english is bad ( I'm French )

Tech Wizard

808,909 kit and a lot of percussion