Hi there, been reading this site for months and finally signed up to ask a question.

I've started to plan a gamepad based controller around a digital only pad, mainly for practice in creating a box and surface mount wire soldering.

The next controller I plan to make will be based round a pad with two analogue sticks. The idea is to keep one of the sticks but replace the other with a more interesting interface. Looking around I've seen replacement Nintendo DSlite and XL touchscreen modules for less than a fiver. Being resistive screens they essentially work as two really wide touch faders on top of each other.

Would one of these work? I know the digitiser's resistance may differ from the stick's but could this be rectified with a resistor or won't that work due to non linearity? I'll be getting a multimeter in the next few days so measuring the values of the components shouldn't be a problem. But will this idea work?!

Also the way some pads calibrate the sticks is by assuming the power on position to be 'centre'. I thought a simple way to get round this would be to measure the resistance when 'centred' and create a small circuit and pushbutton for powering on that gives the same resistance as whatever the centre of the touchpad is.

Any glaring flaws in my plan?

Cheers for any input!