Headphones... in-ear?

Default Headphones... in-ear?

Hey guys!

So... I have Sony V700 (great headphones). I don't play for like... 3 years now but i'm thinking on getting back to the biz. Everytime I used these phones I got pain on the ears (I guess because I use glasses). I'm thinking on selling these and get some in-ear monitors.

Now the doubts... I don't really have much money to buy these phones. I'm thinking on using the money from V700 + a little more. Have you ever experienced Marshall Minor as monitors? They seem pretty interesting.

By the way Westone UM2 look awesome but they're really expensive (for now).
    Last edited by Joel Santos; 12-15-2012 at 07:18 AM.

For playing out I'd recommend the Shure SE215 because it has a dynamic driver. It has more present lows than the UM2 and that can be quite helpful when mixing.
    You do have to consider that if your going the IEM route, you'll have to start mixing on your 'phones instead of listening to the monitors and then cue on your 'phones.
    It's an entirely new game. It will also isolate you from the crowd and other things that might be going on in the club.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

I'm used to mixing through the phones. It always seemed to me more natural. I just have to be more careful with those "little" (big) mistakes like having the fader on top when it should be on bottom. Djtechtools have a review on the IEM phones and they say not to buy dynamic driver! I have sony v700 so i think i'm used to no dynamic driver. Still... Those shure are way cheaper than UM2... Other alternatives? Maybe even... cheaper?

Do those really isolate the sound entirely? I would prefer real sound isolation for the health of my ears.

I play with an old pair of Shure E2C in ears and indeed the isolation can be a bit too much in that context but in the end it saves your ears.

For some gigs I'll have one in my ear 90% of the time (I find that avoids the annoyance of taking the earbud in and out) and very rarely use the second one.

Once again on the question of isolation, you have to be even more careful as some mistakes you may not notice (low volume output, mixing issues) straight away because you're truly in your own little bubble when using earbuds.

Tech Mentor

I've been using the Shure 425's for a little over two years and love them. Most bars and clubs in Detroit really skimp on monitor systems and DJ booths so these have saved my ass, and my hearing.

Those Shure 425 and the E2C seems pretty good. E2C really hard to find. 425 still a little bit expensive but I really think i'll go this way! I don't know with which but... yeah that's the way for my ears. The SE215 have dynamic drive which kind of sucks but are kind on a good price range... Marshall Minor seem pretty interesting and cheap but I don't know if it's a good choice for djs. Anyway the worst is that I can't really try out any of these phones around Portugal.

Yeah I just read the review by Ean and I have no idea what he's talking about when he says to stay away from dynamic IEM's. I'm guessing he's talking about the 115 and CX300 and the likes.
    From what I read, he has had no experience with the SE215. I do.
    I also have the HDJ2000, HD25, a Denon D2000 and the Shure SE530.

When comparing the SE530 to the SE215 the first thing that comes to mind is that the 215 is way more fun and punchy. Something I really want from a DJ headset.

They're reasonably cheap, they kick ass, they've got user-replaceable cords and come in clear and black.

tl;dr SE215 is awesome.

You're convincing me It's being hard to sell my headphones and other equipment lying around but I'll check those. By the way I prefer clarity to punchy

That I can understand but still.. How much clarity can you experience when you're mixing in a club? IMO the SE215 provides enough on all frequencies to enjoy the party