S4 Fader issues??

Default S4 Fader issues??

So I remember reading about a huge problem many S4 users are facing with their faders malfunctioning.
    ...something about dust interfering with fader actions, causing "ghost faders" that would move on its own internally.

These problems still seem to exist with many S4 owners. Even a couple people I know in person have experienced this.

- Did Native Instruments do anything about this problem?

- Are newer units equipped with more stable faders?

It seems way too common s4 owners are sending in their unit for RMA, only to receive an equally flawed unit.

- If I bought an S4 this Christmas, is it likely that I will experience this same problem that's widely occuring?

This is bugging me so much because I want to buy one of these, but for $900.00 the problems people are having seem ridiculous.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by ST4R; 12-17-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Im about to take a leap of faith and spend some hard earned cash on an s4 and a MF3D. May the gods bless me

I got one for almost a year now.

Only thing that caused a short grieve was the USB - B connector port on the controller. But I was able to fix it through my Ninja edit.
    Other than that, it has been the controller that never left me looking back at the BCR2000. (Which is still one of my finest encountered controllers ever! )

I use it together with my classic MIDIfighter, and it is a setup that up until now never made me look at another setup wanting.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

if you don't clean the S4... like ever, and you can literally see the dust caked on it, then yes, there is a chance the faders will start "ghosting". It's happened to me before, but never mid set, it was always right when I turn it on and opened traktor. All you have to do to fix it is blow into the fader thats having problems and the issue is solved.

Ive had my S4 for about a year and only had this problem twice. Actually I would run into this problem all the time with my old hercules RMX, so it definitely isn't an issue with NI or the S4, but an issue with any dirty unit. Even when I upgrade to a full mixer and CDJ's in the next year or so, I will never sell my S4 because its such an amazing, mobile unit.

Edit - what are all these other problems you have been hearing about? Mine has never had an issue, at all. Ive gig'd with so many other DJs with random controllers who are jealous of how little trouble my controller gives me. The other week I watched one DJ turn his M-audio controller on and off 4 times before his mac would recognize it. And the fact that it's plastic and light I think make it more durable. And it feels completely solid when your mixing
    Last edited by Emery; 12-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

personally i keep my stuff covered. i mean the entire system, rack, stand, side mounted efx units and all.
    I keep that covered ANYTIME i am not using it

its not a surefire fix but it will lengthen the amount of time it takes for the problem to happen
    Lets face it, theres no way around it. its going to happen with ANY equipment, that has an upward facing opening right?

So just take a little extra time with it.

I say, send it in, have it cleaned, repaired and when you get it back
    purchase the S4 dust cover or use a platic sheet and cover it up.

DO NOT USE cloth as there are still pcs of dust that can keep dropping into your system each time you move it

Thanks for the replies.

Ordered my s4 + MF3D last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ST4R View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Ordered my s4 + MF3D last night.
    good move. Have fun with it and keep in mind
    REGISTER IT so you can return it when / if you need to .

and for gods sake... cover it up.
    Its technology.
    Think of it this way
    why do they put a hood on an engine?
    pretty and less noise are just two reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    good move. Have fun with it and keep in mind
    REGISTER IT so you can return it when / if you need to .

and for gods sake... cover it up.
    Its technology.
    Think of it this way
    why do they put a hood on an engine?
    pretty and less noise are just two reasons.
    Thanks!

I try to keep all my gear clean. Definitely will buy a decksaver to cover the s4 when Im not using it since my house tends to get dusty.
    I also did myself a favor and ordered Deoxit Fader Lube, but Im not entirely sure how to apply it yet. (some posters say you need a contact cleaner BEFORE applying the lube)

Tech Guru

cover it with a blanket at least. Dust seems to be the biggest culprit as others have said, but someone I know had the fader issue only after he took it on a road trip to another state. It wasnt dirty at all, it maybe got bumped around a little bit during the drive and that is all.

I cut up a dry swiffer pad to clean it off the dust, and rubbing alcohol on a lint free cloth for the sticky stuff/finger prints.
    Let me know how that fader lube works out, definitely something to consider
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s